Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Test Role : Join Paths are expected to Form a Tree. Two Join Paths To Table

Hi,

I have a power bi report I made a few month ago (with an earlier version of power BI) which was working very well but I had to make a few cosmetic modifications.

With the current version of power bi, when I test the report with "View as role", I have an error message: "Join Paths are expected to Form a Tree, but the table 'sales' has two Join Paths To Table 'SalesRep'...." My role only filter on a SalesRep. 

The error does not occur when the "View as role" is not activated and I Slice on the SalesRep.

I also tested the security on powerbi.com with the test as a role and I have the following error: 

Couldn't load the data for this visual

Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details"

It was working before, is it a bug ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

My suspicion is that you really do have two join paths between the tables. This is usually the result of the cross-filter direction being in both directions on all relationships and you need to change one to be in a single direction. Can't really help more without a picture of the relationships.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II
Advocate II

For me the issue was that the measure that was being used, used CROSSFILTER to overrule some relationships. I re-wrote the measure to not use CROSSFILTER but something else (I stored the list of values I needed in a calculatetable, and referred to that instead of using any relationships at all).

What I still don't understand is that this measure  broke when using RLS, but not when using the exact same filters using the filter pane or a slicer. Not sure what the real difference is between the two.

Naveen_SV
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hello,

Try the below you should be able to get this resolved.

1. Check if the issue is related to visual. Try to use old table to create a new visual and check if the issue appeared again. 2. Check if the issue is related to Row-Level Security. Try to delete the old Row-level security, then build a new one to test if the issue appeared. 3. Check if the issue is related to the relationship. Remove the relationships and re-create the relationship and test again. If above is not help, please share some detail information about your issue.

Regards,

naveen

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue with my model. It works perfectly without the row level security. But when RLS added the visuals gives the same error as mentioned above. Anybody help?

Moses_0-1608212756264.png

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

My suspicion is that you really do have two join paths between the tables. This is usually the result of the cross-filter direction being in both directions on all relationships and you need to change one to be in a single direction. Can't really help more without a picture of the relationships.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

HI @Greg_Deckler 

I have the same problem. I have two paths but one is not active. I activate it only in a misure.

Tha strange thing is that witout testing role, my report works well, but when I try to apply a role, I see the error message 

Thanks in advance

Enrico

@Greg_Deckler I faced similar issue recently. I change the relationship to single instead of both and that resolved the issue. Thanks.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI,

Thanks for your ansewer.

My model is a little bit complex but I checked and I have two join paths. My concern is that it was working before and now I have this error. Does it mean I have to change all the model ?

@Anonymous

Please check if you apply multiple row level filter on same table. See a similar thread below:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Error-Unable-to-Load-Visual-Join-Paths-are-expected-to-Form-a/m-p/77637

Regards,

Facing the same issue. And i have only one filter on a table in each role. ANy idea how to solve this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.