Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ivan_larson_cki
Helper III
Helper III

Target not Displaying Correctly with Linear Gauge by MAQ Software

I'm using the Linear Gauge to show spend progress towards a set of targets (one for each business area), and I'm breaking the spending down between multiple categories (currently two, though items in a third category will exist in the future). When I added a Category value, my target value for each business area doubled, which caused confusion because I need it to be constant regardless of the number of categories I'm using to break down spending.

As a workaround, I added a DAX column that divides the target value by the number of categories where spending exists in that business area.

However, when I apply slicers to see different segments of spending within a business area, the number of categories of spending is sometimes reduced to 1. When that happens, my target is suddenly cut in half.

This element of the linear gauge - that it multiplies the target value by the number of different values for Category - is most unhelpful. Is there a way to consistently work around this limitation?

I did attempt to work around it by using a measure instead of a DAX column, but then the target just doesn't display at all.

Another solution I'm considering is adding $0.01 placeholders so that no matter how I slice the total, there is always something in each category. But that would be cumbersome to maintain and could cause visual confusion. So a better solution would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks. In this instance, that behavior is unhelpful, even if expected. But I've worked around it by adding an additional table listing the Pmt Category values, and with a measure that sums 0+ the amount while filtering using the SELECTEDVALUE() formula for the appropriate stage. I then used the Pmt Category value on that table as the Category, and the measure as the Actual Value. That way, the number of distinct Pmt Category values never changes based on slicing the data in various ways, so I can set the target as the actual target divided by the total number of distinct values for Pmt Category.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MAQSupport
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hello @ivan_larson_cki ,

Linear Gauge by MAQ Software visual allows you to include multiple data points when column is present in category field. 

When you drag column in category data field, it contains multiple rows with same target column. 

Linear_gauge_1.png

Sum of Target including both categories will be 37K.  

Linear_gauge_2.png

It is the expected behavior of the visual. 

If you still face any issues, please contact us at support@maqsoftware.com 

Thanks

Thanks. In this instance, that behavior is unhelpful, even if expected. But I've worked around it by adding an additional table listing the Pmt Category values, and with a measure that sums 0+ the amount while filtering using the SELECTEDVALUE() formula for the appropriate stage. I then used the Pmt Category value on that table as the Category, and the measure as the Actual Value. That way, the number of distinct Pmt Category values never changes based on slicing the data in various ways, so I can set the target as the actual target divided by the total number of distinct values for Pmt Category.

hi @ivan_larson_cki

I would really appriciate if you can share how you created the additional table and the measure to solve this issue. I am not very experienced in DAX so any guidance would be really helpful 🙂

Many thanks,

Mohammad

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@ivan_larson_cki ,

Could you please share more details about your requirement and share some sample data?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

@v-yuta-msft  Sure! Using the data below, I made these visuals:

The target here should be 18.5k, which is displayed correctly in the top linear gauge. In the bottom linear gauge, I added Pmt Category to the Category section of the linear gauge, and the target amount doubled to 37k.Linear Gauge Examples.png

If I slice the data so that only one category applies, the Target is no longer doubled:

Linear Gauge Filtered.png

If I only needed to slice by values on the Areas table, I could work around this limitation, but I also need to slice by values on the Payments table (and in the live data, other intermediary tables):

Linear Gauge Filtered-2.png

Sample Summarization with Targets:

Business AreaLeadTarget
NorthJoe4500
SouthJane5000
EastJane4000
WestJoe5000

Sample Payment Data (related by Business Area):

Pmt IDAmountPmt CategoryBusiness AreaProject SetStatus
P-101700Pmt-GreenNorthAlphaIn Progress
P-102100Pmt-RedNorthAlphaIn Progress
P-103700Pmt-GreenNorthAlphaIn Progress
P-104100Pmt-RedNorthAlphaIn Progress
P-105200Pmt-GreenNorthAlphaIn Progress
P-106200Pmt-RedNorthBetaConfirmed
P-107700Pmt-RedNorthBetaConfirmed
P-108400Pmt-RedNorthBetaConfirmed
P-109800Pmt-RedNorthBetaConfirmed
P-110100Pmt-RedNorthBetaConfirmed
P-111200Pmt-GreenEastGammaIn Progress
P-112200Pmt-GreenEastGammaIn Progress
P-113800Pmt-GreenEastGammaIn Progress
P-114300Pmt-GreenEastGammaIn Progress
P-115500Pmt-GreenEastDeltaConfirmed
P-116200Pmt-RedEastDeltaConfirmed
P-117200Pmt-GreenEastDeltaConfirmed
P-118400Pmt-RedEastDeltaConfirmed
P-119500Pmt-RedEastEpsilonConfirmed
P-120300Pmt-RedEastEpsilonConfirmed
P-121400Pmt-GreenSouthZetaIn Progress
P-1221000Pmt-GreenSouthZetaIn Progress
P-123300Pmt-GreenSouthZetaIn Progress
P-124100Pmt-GreenSouthZetaIn Progress
P-125100Pmt-GreenSouthEtaConfirmed
P-126900Pmt-GreenSouthEtaConfirmed
P-1271000Pmt-GreenSouthEtaConfirmed
P-128200Pmt-GreenSouthEtaConfirmed
P-129400Pmt-GreenSouthThetaConfirmed
P-130700Pmt-GreenSouthThetaConfirmed
P-131700Pmt-RedWestIotaIn Progress
P-132500Pmt-RedWestIotaIn Progress
P-133200Pmt-RedWestIotaIn Progress
P-134300Pmt-RedWestIotaIn Progress
P-1351000Pmt-RedWestKappaIn Progress
P-1361000Pmt-RedWestKappaIn Progress
P-137600Pmt-RedWestKappaIn Progress
P-138100Pmt-RedWestLambdaConfirmed
P-139300Pmt-RedWestLambdaConfirmed
P-140600Pmt-RedWestMuConfirmed

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.