Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

G3N3XT
Frequent Visitor

Target line on primary Y-axis in combo chart

Hi all, 

I would like to add a target line (constant horizontal line) on the primary Y-axis on a combo (line and stacked column) chart without sacrificing the secondary y-axis (which has a different scale). How can I do this?  Analytics pane doesn't provide me any features and adding a measure to the line value only gives me a line on the secondary y-axis (which needs to have a completely different scale from the primary y-axis). 

So to clearify things: how do I add a red line like in the image below on the 80% value of the primary (left) Y-axis?

Combo chart with target on primary Y axis.JPG

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@G3N3XT your understanding is absolutely correct.  We cannot dynamically set the min and max values. This was just a workaround as I cannot think of anything else. You can tweak the logic as you see fit. I think in the case of auto, it scales to the nearest rounded number, never paid much attention but again it is a workaround, and hope it works out for you, but yes if the scale changed, it will break. Good luck!

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@G3N3XT I think there is an idea on the ideas forum, don't have the link handy but if you search for it, you should vote for it.

Cheers!!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@G3N3XT your understanding is absolutely correct.  We cannot dynamically set the min and max values. This was just a workaround as I cannot think of anything else. You can tweak the logic as you see fit. I think in the case of auto, it scales to the nearest rounded number, never paid much attention but again it is a workaround, and hope it works out for you, but yes if the scale changed, it will break. Good luck!

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Thanks! Would be a lot easier if we could use a variable/measure as min/max on the y-axis scale, but so be it 😄

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@G3N3XT add the following measure and then put it on line value section

80% Value = 
VAR __max = MAXX ( ALL ( Blad1[Year] ), [Secondary_value] )
VAR __len = LEN ( FIXED ( __max, 0, TRUE() ) )
VAR __subtract = VALUE ( "1" & REPT ( "0", __len - 1 ) )
VAR __result = ROUNDUP ( __max , ( __len - 1 ) * -1 ) - __subtract
RETURN __result

parry2k_0-1612630472203.png

output

parry2k_1-1612630499859.png

Hi Parry, Thanks for the answer so far! So I understand the way to go is to create an additionel line on the secondary axis using DAX, such that it gets calculated on the 80% value of the primary axis artificially. The measure now only breaks down in case of using a different secondary axis scale then "auto" (which will be required later on). When you have the min/max axis scale set to "auto", does it always evaluate to the nearest rounded number (e.g. nearest thousand above/below max/min value in case of thousands in the data)? 

Is there any way to set the y-axis min/max values to a variable/measure instead of either a hard-coded number or "auto"?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@G3N3XT I think I have an idea not sure it will work or not, can you share a sample pbix file thru one drive/google drive and remove any sensitive information before sharing it.

Hi parry2k, 

I've made some sample data and a sample pbix file. Both can be found using this dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2qofwxvobqw5vc/AAAql01yGBO0HAJGVO2OkoVha?dl=0 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.