Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Taking data from two identical slicers

Evening forum,

I'm trying to recreate a lot of the sports analysis which I currently do in Excel into Power BI, and while I'm aware of the concept of a disconnected slicer to feed information into a visual, I'm not sure how it would work with the data I have and what I want it to do.

My data looks like this in a csv:

Player Name - Date of Match - Great Game - Good Game - Average Game - Bad Game

Ian Beale - 21/04/18 - 1 - 4 - 1 - 0

Phil Mitchell - 21/04/18 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 1

Paul Robinson - 21/04/18 - 0 - 2 - 4 - 0

Karl Kennedy - 21/04/18 - 0 - 1 - 3 - 1

which then carries on for thousands of rows, each figure in the last four columns indicating the number of games they have won in a given match.

The sport I'm analysing is turn based, where a great game beats a good game, a good game beats an average game etc, and if both players have the same quality of game, whoever started wins, so in Excel I just grab the sums of each of each of the last four columns, work out the percentage of each column as a sum of all of them, and it's effectively, assuming player A starts the game:

Player A Win Chance = (percentage of games that are great)+(percentage of games that are good*percentage of opponent's games that are not great)+(percentage of games that are average*percentage of opponent's games that are not great or good) etc

The goal is to get two measures - one each for the chances of two players to win a single game that they start. Once I've got that I'm confident I can then use the values in those measures and get the results I want for projecting matches that can span for many games, it's just getting the initial values into a measure that I'm not sure about. What I want to do is have a page on a report where I have two slicers, one for each of the players in the match (I'd also want a date slicer but that doesn't seem relevant to the question), then have the measures look at the data of the players that are selected, pull through the sums of each of the columns (which I have as measures already), then do the logic described in italics above and come up with the chance that each player wins a game that they start. I'm just not sure where to start with this - with work I know the basics of using a disconnected slicer to pick a value and have that alter a visual, but having two of these working at the same time and in conjunction with each other is a whole different level of complexity and I'm not sure where to start. Thanks in advance and let me know if anything's not clear (probable I guess) or if you need some sample data

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Seems like the only thing you are missing is on the Format tab, there is a button for Edit Interactions. This way you can make sure that your first slicer doesn't interact with your second slicer or second visual and vice versa.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Seems like the only thing you are missing is on the Format tab, there is a button for Edit Interactions. This way you can make sure that your first slicer doesn't interact with your second slicer or second visual and vice versa.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Cheers Greg, it seems to be pulling through the same probablility as Excel does, so it likely wasn't as complicated as I thought it to be

@jthomson,

Please take a look at the following blog about how to use Edit interactions to achieve your requirement.

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/4784/power-bi-visual-interactions/

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.