Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Taking a snapshot of a table, keeping it 7 days, then seeing how many of the entries are still in it

I'd be pulling in this simple table with only 2 columns.

Name, Date

I'd like Power BI to store this table, then when it's 7 days from the date of creation, compare it to the present version of the table, and see how many of of the files are still present. 

And then moving forward, everyday it'd compare now vs. the version created 7 days prior.

(If it helps, what I'm actually doing is looking in a folder to see how many of the files it, are still there after 7 days.  So the Name is the file name, and the Date is the file's createdate). 

Is this possible in an automated sense?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@mmace1,

I am afraid that it is not possible to automate above process in Power BI Desktop. In your scenario, import the table twice in Power BI Desktop, for the first imported query, disable “Include in report refresh” option in Query Editor.
1.JPG

Then create relationship between  the two imported tables and go to Report view, create the following similar columns in the first table.

Column = RELATED('Sheet5 (2)'[Create date])
Checkday = IF(DATEDIFF(Sheet5[Create date],Sheet5[Column],DAY)=7,1,0)

This way, create a table visual using fields of the first table, and set the value of Checkday column to 1 in Visual level filters.  After that, click “Refresh” button in Power BI Desktop each time,  and you can see that the data is refreshed in the second table and you can view the existing files in the table visual.
2.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@mmace1,

I am afraid that it is not possible to automate above process in Power BI Desktop. In your scenario, import the table twice in Power BI Desktop, for the first imported query, disable “Include in report refresh” option in Query Editor.
1.JPG

Then create relationship between  the two imported tables and go to Report view, create the following similar columns in the first table.

Column = RELATED('Sheet5 (2)'[Create date])
Checkday = IF(DATEDIFF(Sheet5[Create date],Sheet5[Column],DAY)=7,1,0)

This way, create a table visual using fields of the first table, and set the value of Checkday column to 1 in Visual level filters.  After that, click “Refresh” button in Power BI Desktop each time,  and you can see that the data is refreshed in the second table and you can view the existing files in the table visual.
2.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia, this is helpful.

OK, thank you!  It's good to have a definitive answer as to what's possible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.