Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Joerobert
Helper II
Helper II

Tagging / grouping data in table visuals?

Hello

I have a question and hopefully this community has a solution. My data model consist of like 5-7 tables imported in from an oracle database, all which have been related with an unique identifier. Say I am splicing table A and as I go through the data, I have related data that is displayed in table B. Depending on the results in table B, I want to assign a “tag” to the selected row in table A and then group them together in the fields list. Is this possible?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So, what I would do in your case would be to have a Categorystring slicer that does not filter Table A but filters table B and and your other plotting visual. If you go into the format painter on the slicer and turn off Single Select it will probably be a better experience. Basically that allows you to not have to hold down Ctrl when doing multiple select.

Perhaps not as intuitive or not what you are used to in Tibco but should get the same result.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you provide a concrete example with sample data? I'm not sure I'm getting what you are trying to do. "group them", group what?

Latest book!:

Sorry about the double post, looks like there was a 24hr lag with my 1st reply.

Hello Smoupre, thanks for helping. See below tables as an example.

With the use of splicers, i have created table A that shows a list of wells. As I select rows in Table A with ctrl+click, i am able to display corresponding data in Table B (ie. well casing design). As I shuffle through the data in Table A, i would like to have the ability to highlight or "tag" individual rows that have similiar casing designs shown in Table B. Then once I have all of my rows "tagged", i would like to be able to group them together and visualize so that I can analyze the KPI's for that particular group.

Does this make sense? This is a feature that was present with spotfire, but cannot seem the replicate in PBI. I have read about "grouping" or "binning" data in PBI, but that seems to only apply to bulk data/columns and not individual items within.

Thanks!

Table A   Table B 
Column1Column2Column3 Column1Column2
Wellname1Time/Date1KPI1 Wellname1Casingstring1
Wellname2Time/Date2KPI2 Wellname1Casingstring2
Wellname3Time/Date3KPI3 Wellname1Casingstring3
    Wellname2Casingstring1
    Wellname2Casingstring2
    Wellname2Casingstring3
    Wellname2Casingstring4
    Wellname3Casingstring1
    Wellname3Casingstring2
    Wellname3Casingstring3

OK, bear with me, it may be because it is late or my unfamiliarity with the subject matter here.

So, in the example below, would you be trying to create a group of wells that only haveing casings with strings of:

Casingstring1

Casingstring2

Casingstring3

But no other casingstring types. Or, are you going after all wells with Casingstring1 and Casingstring2. Or something else?

Latest book!:

That is correct, I would like to “tag” the wells that have three casing strings and only plot those wells on a visual to show KPIs.

Maybe there is a way to have a user entry in the data table so then I can individually flag the wells then filter out later on.

Thanks for the help

So, what I would do in your case would be to have a Categorystring slicer that does not filter Table A but filters table B and and your other plotting visual. If you go into the format painter on the slicer and turn off Single Select it will probably be a better experience. Basically that allows you to not have to hold down Ctrl when doing multiple select.

Perhaps not as intuitive or not what you are used to in Tibco but should get the same result.

Latest book!:

Thanks for the help I think you are referring to “attributeslicer”. This app basically allows me to filter the wells separately and then once I assign a “tag” to all of the wells, I can toggle between my original time slicer to my new attribute slicer to visually plot the results. It is a little cumbersome, having to shuffle through each line item but it got the job down.

It would be really great if a)I could assign a “tag” within the original table without the need of a second slicher or b) have the ability to select multiple rows prior to assigning a filter.

I would recommend that you submit that as an Idea. https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi?WT.mc_id=Community

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.