Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RBunting
Advocate II
Advocate II

Tabular Editor for OLS, will these capabilities be added to Desktop itself?

I'm working on understanding Tabular Editor and PowerBI's OLS features.   I've found Microsoft Blogs that link to the version of Tabular Editor available for free on Git.   But I've also found other MS blogs that link instead to the official page for Tabular Editor 3, which looks to have monthly subscriptions fees that are as expensive as powerBI licenses themselves.

is this the future of OLS?   I'm developing for my business, so adding on another 35 or 95 USD per developer per month for tools we will use infrequently is a real downer.  I feel like maybe I should steer my organization away from reliance on these features - like it's not worth the cost.   What do you all think?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Especially with the new licensing model it is kinda hard to fathom that Tabular Editor would be integrated into Power BI Desktop (rather than staying an external tool).  It's not just OLS that is "missing", Calculation groups are also absent from the Power BI Desktop capabilities.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @RBunting ,

If you only want to use the Object-Level Security function, you can try to use the Pro account.

The normal rate for Power BI PRO License is $9.99 per month for a single user. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

This is the related document, you can view this content:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/fr-fr/blog/object-level-security-ols-is-now-generally-available-in-pow...

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you, Liu Yang, for your response.

In the linked article, we see that 

"Authoring OLS rules in the Power BI dataset can be performed with tools that utilize the XMLA endpoint."

And what I want to know is whether or not Authoring OLS rules will eventually be possible from PowerBI Desktop.   Currently, it does not seem to be possible. 

Especially with the new licensing model it is kinda hard to fathom that Tabular Editor would be integrated into Power BI Desktop (rather than staying an external tool).  It's not just OLS that is "missing", Calculation groups are also absent from the Power BI Desktop capabilities.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.