Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jan_Trummel
Helper III
Helper III

Tablenames for measures in DAX formulars --> WHY?

Hello community,

since I have installed the latest version of Power BI Desktop (2.98.683.0 64-bit from October 2021), something changed in the formular bar (and I don't mean just the optical style):

When I call a measure, Power BI inserts always the tablename and the measurename, like that: myTable[myMeasure].

For a column, this makes definitly sense, but why is Power BI doing that for a measure? Tablenames for measures aren't necessary, if I am right.

So, does anyone has an answer?

Thanks and have a nice day!

Greetings

Jan

4 REPLIES 4
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jan_Trummel 

When I call a measure, it is ok without a table name. I'm also using Version 2.98.683.0 64-bit (October 2021).

21102502.jpg

Do you see any error if removing the table names for measures?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Hello @v-jingzhang ,

thanks for your answer and sory for the late respond.

In my version, it looks like that:

Measure.JPG

Power BI alway displays the name of the measure-table. Of course, can delete the tablename and the measure still works well. But in former versions of Power BI, the software didn't show the tablename.

Greetings

Jan

Hey @Jan_Trummel,

It appears that Microsoft is trying to allign the intellisense of DAX with the intellisense of M. I haven't seen any documentation on the change but my guess is that intellisense is defaulting to the fully qualified column reference because it is considered a best practice. Since this is still new they probably haven't worked out the kinks for why it's doing it still for measures when it's not recommended for measures to be fully qualified.  Column and measure references in DAX - DAX | Microsoft Docs 

I say that because it looks like the word Amount might be the issue. If I call my measure Amount I get the same thing you get:

Watsky_0-1635348836871.png

If I change that to another name like Totals, then it works fine.

Watsky_1-1635348908170.png

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @Watsky @Jan_Trummel 

I got news from DAX IntelliSense October 2021 Crash - Page 2 that an update to October version will be released later this week including some fixes to DAX IntelliSense, so let's wait to see what will happen after that update. 

BR,

Jing

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors