Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tableau parameter in PowerBI

Hi,

I would like to give my users ability to see the report from different perspectives. A drop down with the dimentions should let them swap.  For e.g. below will be the values in the parameter.

Region
Country
State
Customer

In tableau i would create a string parameter and use this parameter in the calculated field and then that calculated field will be used in the visuals , so when i change the value in the Parameter Dropdown the Dimention on the visual changes.. Below is the example  of joining using the parameter...

CASE Parameter

When "Region" Then Region(Dimention)

When "State" Then State(Dimention)

When "Country" Then Country (Dimention)

When "Customer" Then  Customer(Dimention)
END

6 REPLIES 6
seaotter

Please follow this thread regarding Tableau like parameter function: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-create-Parameter-Like-in-Tableau-to-select-visualizi...
seaotter

Please follow this thread regarding Tableau like parameter function: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-create-Parameter-Like-in-Tableau-to-select-visualizi...
zebing2
Advocate I
Advocate I

Why on earth is this thread marked as "solved". When someone comes along and says there is no solution, we're marking it solved on this forum?

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

In Power BI, you can only select one perspective after connecting to cube/model, it's not possible to dynamically switch perspectives. And it's not supported to use parameter to dynamically select dimensions. 

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any workaround for it ? May be Bookmarks ?

In power BI it's not possible to select dynamically like tableau parameter.

In power bi You have to bookmarks for every category.

Regards,

Bajee.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.