Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Table with two filter criteria seems simple but...

Hi,

I am trying to establish two different date filtering criteria across one table, different columns that iterate by date. Following is the problem defined in terms of library books checked out.

This is the source data I start with:

Data Source Table

ID

Borrow Date

Return Date

HIST0010

15-Jun-2016

04-Jul-2016

FICT2720

12-Jan-2017

BIOG2240

23-Aug-2016

29-Sep-2016

I have a Date table with a defined relationships 1-to-many Date to Borrow Date (active) and 1-to-many Date to Return Date (inactive).

Lookup Table Dates

Date

01-Jan-2016

02-Jan-2016

03-Jan-2016

Target Table should look something like ths:

Month

Number of books checked out anytime and not yet returned at the end of each month

Average duration in days of checkout of all books not yet returned at the end of each month

January, 2016

February, 2016

March, 2016

Conceptually (and dysfunctionally) this is as follows:

Still_Out =
        COUNTROWS(
            FILTER(
                books, (
                books[checked_out] < [Last_day_this_month]
                &&
                books[returned] > [Last_day_this_month]
                )
            )
        )

Where [Last_day_this_month] = ENDOFMONTH('Dates'[Date])

At issue is the ability to filter [checked_out] based on the active relationship and [returned] based on the inactive relationship in filtering the same list…. Or at least that is where my pursuit has taken me.  I would appreciate suggestions on a solution to this.

Many thanks!

P.S.  It seems likely that a similar scenario has been covered elsewhere, so happy to simply have a pointer to a discussion.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tom,

Thank you for your patient help.  I have solved my problem in a very simple way.  The original data and the original query are unchanged.  I have simply changed the relationships from this:

Annotation 2019-06-22 124837.png

to this:

Which results in this table:

So: problem solved.  I must give a nod to Reza Rad in the RADACAD blog for his posting, "Scenarios of Using Calculated Tables in Power BI" which pointed me in the right direction. 
See Calculated Tables

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

not sure but maybe it is as simple as activating the inactive relationship using the DAX function USERELATIONSHIP: https://dax.guide/userelationship/

The DAX will be similar to this:

CALCULATE(
<expression>
,USERELATIONSHIP(...)
,<additional filter if necessary>
)

Hopefully this provides you with some ideas!

Regards;

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply! 

I wish it were so.  At issue is that I must use the primary relationship (books[checked_out] < [Last_day_this_month]) for the first filter criteria and the secondary relationship (books[returned] > [Last_day_this_month]) for the other filter. The USERELATIONSHIP works for the CALCULATE expression, not the FILTER expression so I can't have both relationships... or at least I don't yet see how. 

Cheers,

-- Greg

Hey,

can you please provide a pbix that contains sample data and reflects your model, upload the file to onedrive or dropbox and share the link.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sample data in PBIX..... Library Book Data

Hey,

thanks for providing the sample data.

I choose a slightly different approach, I created a new table using this DAX statement:

not present = 
var maxDate = MAX('Dates'[Date])
return
GENERATE(
'Sample_Data'
var returndate = [Return Date]
var enddate = IF(ISBLANK(returndate) , maxDate , returndate)
return
DATESBETWEEN('Dates'[Date] , [Borrow Date] , enddate)
)

This creates a table that expands your table 'Sample Data' and creates a row for each ID (a book i guess),  please don't be afraid by creating millions of rows, the performance will be much better as this can leverage the way faster storage engine during measure evaluation instead of the slower formula engine. as just a single column is involved, the "new" expanded date column.

I also creaed an books table (more out of habit) using this DAX

Books = 
DISTINCT(
'Sample_Data'[ID]
) 

The measure "Still out new approach" is based on this reasoning reasoning: count the books that are "not present" on the "last day of the month", for this I created this measure:

still out new approach = 
var lastDayOfTheMonth = [Last_day_this_month]
return
CALCULATE(
    COUNTROWS(
        FILTER(
            'not present' 
            , [Date] = lastDayOfTheMonth
        )
    )
)

This allows to create a report like this:

image.png

Basically you can hide the table "not present" from the user, as it is just used for calculations. And it's not related to your Dates table:

image.png

I'm not sure if you still need the inactive relationship between the tables "Dates" and "Sample_data".

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Tom,

Thanks!  I created your Tables and Measures as suggested, confirmed by same results you posted.  To test the validity I created a visual with a Table that contains 3 elements of Sample_Data:  Borrow Date, ID, and Return Date.  I applied two filters to the visual (and no other filters) Borrow Date is before 11/1/2018 12:00 AM and Return Date is (after 10/31/2018 11:59 PM OR is blank.)  I would have expected that the Count of IDs (6,285) would equal the "still out new apporach" count for October (7,696), but it does not.  Is it me, the filter, or the logic?

Thanks for your patience!

-- Greg

Hey Greg,

please provide the pbix you created as it is difficult to understand what you did, I will have a closer look during this week.
I also did not understand what you expected by setting the date filters.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tom,

Thank you for your patient help.  I have solved my problem in a very simple way.  The original data and the original query are unchanged.  I have simply changed the relationships from this:

to this:

Which results in this table:

So: problem solved.  I must give a nod to Reza Rad in the RADACAD blog for his posting, "Scenarios of Using Calculated Tables in Power BI" which pointed me in the right direction. 
See Calculated Tables

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.