Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Aukje
Helper I
Helper I

Table with distinct count as row

Hi,

Question: How can I achieve a table with distinct count (0-15) as rows, with a count of occurrance (individual IDs with a distinct count value based on another column) as column value?

Eg.

ID / GROUP

1 A

1 A

2 B

3 A

3 B

4 A

4 B

4 C

4 A

Output table:

0 0

1 2 

2 1

3 1

Table should output number of IDs with a certain distinct count value (of group in this case). Eg in the above example two IDs (ID 1 & 2, have one for distinct value of group, ID 3 has distinct value 2, and ID 4 has distinct value 3).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Aukje,

You should create a new Table in DAX:

New Table = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS('Table'[ID],"Groups",DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[GROUP]))

And then the following measure:

Count = COUNTROWS('New Table')

2020-02-25_14-13-08.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Wesleyvanv
Frequent Visitor

Hi Aukje,

You can select distinct count in a table with the right mouse click on the value in the Visualizations pane.

2020-02-25_13-18-12.png

Hi,

However than  I will get distinct count per ID, I rather would like to achieve an aggregated value (numbre of IDs) with that particular distinct count. (Reverse column A and B in your lower example, and make a count of ID)

Hi Aukje,

You should create a new Table in DAX:

New Table = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS('Table'[ID],"Groups",DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[GROUP]))

And then the following measure:

Count = COUNTROWS('New Table')

2020-02-25_14-13-08.png

Thanks for your help. I thought it was solved but I am running into a discrepancy.

I created one table just to know distinct count per group (per gorup A, per group B) etc, and then the table above according to the specifications to see how many IDs occured in more than one group:

First table

Groups 

Blank 829

A 225

B 658

C 124

Distinct count of ID: 9 511

Second table as you described

Blanks 2923

1  123

2  234 

3  456 

4 ....

Distinct count of ID: 9 511

Suddenly my blank value is much higher, these refer to IDs not occuring in any group, however they in my opinon cannot be more than the 829 in the first table. Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.