Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MitieFred
Helper V
Helper V

Table visual column header or Card visual field name query

In a Table visual, is there a way to put a line return within one of the column headers ?

Similarly, is there a way to force a new line on the field name within a Card visual ?

I have columns and cards where they are wide enough to take part of what would sensibly look better showing on a second line, so I need to narrow down the column/card to force a new line where I want it, but then risk the data showing incorrectly.

Easiest demonstrated on a Card, but the same applies to columns in a Table

E.g. Card.PNG vs Card2.PNG

I've not found a solution so far but any suggestions welcome

Regards

Fred 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MitieFred ,

Have you try to explicitly enter a newline character by pressing Alt-Enter in the formula bar? Please refer to the OwenAuger 's reply in https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/how-to-get-text-in-new-line-in-the-data-cards-label/td-p/44...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Hi, yes, seen and tried that, sadly that simply displays UNICHAR(10) in the middle of the Field name.

I tried various methods of imbedding without success.

Hi @MitieFred ,

Have you try to explicitly enter a newline character by pressing Alt-Enter in the formula bar? Please refer to the OwenAuger 's reply in https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/how-to-get-text-in-new-line-in-the-data-cards-label/td-p/44...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Thanks for that pointer, the Alt + Return is definitely something to remember and I'm certainly getting closer to the desired result . . .

Original card and codeCard.PNG

AvgStorySpend = DIVIDE(
    CALCULATE(
        SUM(Tasks[SAPActualCost])),
        CALCULATE(
            COUNT(Tasks[MilestoneType]),
                FILTER(Tasks,Tasks[MilestoneType]="QIC - User Story" &&
                        Tasks[Task % Complete]=1)),
        )

Revised Card and new codeRevised CardRevised Card

NewLineAvgStorySpend = 
VAR Newline =
"
"
Return
FORMAT(
DIVIDE(
    CALCULATE(
        SUM(Tasks[SAPActualCost])),
        CALCULATE(
            COUNT(Tasks[MilestoneType]),
                FILTER(Tasks,Tasks[MilestoneType]="QIC - User Story" &&
                        Tasks[Task % Complete]=1)),
        ), "£#,##0.00,,K;(£#,##0.00),,K") & Newline &
"Avg Story spend" & Newline & "this Financial Year"

Is there a way to

• format the values to show either K or M based on the value ?   The actual value is £2,032 or £2.03k, not the £2,032k that is being shown ?
  • adjust the font size so that the value is large and the label is small, as per the original "squeezed" card ?

Thanks for the help so far, this is proving to be more complex than I first thought, but it's a learning curve 😁

Fred

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.