Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Table visual automatically summarizing - how do i avoid it?

Hi there,

My table visual is automatically summarizing the data when the whole row matches. I have clicked Don't summarize on all the columns. The only way I seem to be able to get it to show all the rows in the table is to add an Index column in Power Query and then drag it onto the table visual, treating it as a primary key in effect.

I have had this problem before and feel there is something obvious I need to do, but I can't remember!

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

Since the visual result needs to be summarized, so it will automatically summarizing.

And for the fields you don't want to summarize, you could set it Default Summarization: Don't summarize

3.JPG

Or as you said, add an Index column in Power Query and then drag it onto the table visual, treating it as a primary key in effect, then decrease the size of the columns until they are hidden. Like in excel in the middle of two colums you can resize them. Be aware that you first need to turn off word wrap.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

Since the visual result needs to be summarized, so it will automatically summarizing.

And for the fields you don't want to summarize, you could set it Default Summarization: Don't summarize

3.JPG

Or as you said, add an Index column in Power Query and then drag it onto the table visual, treating it as a primary key in effect, then decrease the size of the columns until they are hidden. Like in excel in the middle of two colums you can resize them. Be aware that you first need to turn off word wrap.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lili6-msft 

Yes, thanks. I've already turned off the Summarization settings and it doesn't affect the result. So the Index approach is the workaround.

At least I know now that it is a strange aspect of the Table visual. Do you know why it is designed this way? 

See ideas - https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/35242144-show-all-data-in-table-v...

4 years later and this stupid "feature" still exists. Now I have to add a column that no one wants to see. 

Ugh - Power BI has so many stupid things like this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.