Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Table visual - Is it possible to dynamically add/remove columns?

I have seen a lot of tutorials on how to dynamically change column selection in table visuals and matrices but none of them have quite fit my use case.  Basically, I'm wondering if it is possible to allow a user to use a table visual or a matrix to display a custom cross-section of different segments, without the use of a unique record identifier.  For example the whole cross-section would look like this:

bi_poweruser429_0-1608234549539.png

But I would need the slicer to dynamically change what the user sees; e.g. if the user only chooses "Merchant" then I only want to see the following:

bi_poweruser429_1-1608234661924.png

So I'm less interested in a specific solution to my problem, more just wondering if what I'm attempting to do is even possible, and also if it is possible to do without unpivoting my data.  My actual data file has nearly 10 million records and about 9 different categories so I am not looking to impede performance.

Thank you for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

While this is somewhat along the lines of what I am looking for, I do need the ability to see more than the MAX() value which would mean that the table expands horizontally and vertically when more categories are added, and contracts when they are removed.  There appears to be no native functionality in PowerBI to allow what I am looking for, so I am going to have to use bookmarks to achieve it.  Thank you though.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

First create a slicer table as below:

v-kelly-msft_0-1608532385152.png

Then create a measure as below:

Measure = SWITCH(
    SELECTEDVALUE('Slicer table'[Slicers]),
    "Merchant",MAX('Table'[Merchant]),
    "Product",MAX('Table'[Product]),BLANK())

And you will see:

v-kelly-msft_1-1608532432725.pngv-kelly-msft_2-1608532441114.png

I also added another option of unpivoting the table to realize it in my sample .pbix file,you could turn to it to check which one is better.Pls check attachment for details.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Anonymous
Not applicable

While this is somewhat along the lines of what I am looking for, I do need the ability to see more than the MAX() value which would mean that the table expands horizontally and vertically when more categories are added, and contracts when they are removed.  There appears to be no native functionality in PowerBI to allow what I am looking for, so I am going to have to use bookmarks to achieve it.  Thank you though.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for not being able to help on this issue,since you have a good idea of using bookmarks to address it,could you pls mark the reply as answered to let more people find the solution.

Much appreciated.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.