Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StuartSmith
Power Participant
Power Participant

Table filter resetting when table row selected.

I have a report containing a map, table & card, with test data of...

nameagesexcountry
dave23MaleUK
stu34MaleFrance
mike21MaleUK
lee54MaleGermany
barry76MaleSpain
sid18Male

The map has the data of "Country" and when you select, say "UK", the table will only show "UK" record.  As expected.  Then when you select one of the filtered row, it displays the persons name, say "Mike" on the card.  All as expected, but when i select "Mike" on the table, istead of just leaving the "UK" rows showing, it resets the table and shows all the rows again.  Why and how can it keep it only showing the UK rows until the filter is cleared? Thanks.power bi 1.png

power bi 2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I eventually ended up removing the map visual as wasnt working how i wanted it to.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
qformula
Regular Visitor

Anyone found the solution? It is year 2022 (3+years since issue first reported) and I still can't find how to approach it. Holding Ctrl key is not an option - when reports are used by thousand users you can't expect them to intuitively use  Ctrl, no you can put instructions on every report page. There has to be an option to enforce one-way interactions for a visual.

I also searched for months and could not find a direct solution to this issue, but I found so far the following two workarounds. Neither of them are perfect, but if you absolutely need to find something for this issue, this may still work for you:

1) If available, use drill-down on the first visual (e.g. map in the above context) that cross-filters to the table. The drill-down will have an effect of "locking" the filtered state in the second table and prevent from resetting it. The limitation is that users need to know how to use drill-down and drill-up, and the drill-down cannot be kept to "on" by default (i.e. it always shows as “off” when reports are loaded the first time).

2) Download and use the following table visual (also from Microsoft) instead of the standard table:

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104380796?src=office

Strangely and compared to other tables I tried, this one does not reset its filter even after clicking on an entry.

The limitation is that this table is not a conventional table (it is a ranking table) and options are very limited (e.g. no possibility to change the font, font size, no line wrapping, cannot remove the first “Rank” column), but by hiding parts that are not needed, it provides at least a possible way.

danno
Resolver V
Resolver V

Most out of the box visuals will support multi-select across visuals, just hold the CTRL key.  Let me know if the Map visual also supports this. 

Not sure I understand you, but as an example I want to be able to select a map bubble, that then displays all table rows related to that map bubble in the table, I then want to select a row from the table results and the card will show data from the select table row, whilst the table still showing only the data specific to the selected map bubble.  I will woks fine, apart from when you select a table row, instead of the table only showing rows relating to the selected map bubble, it reverts back to the full table.  

Hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard and select map region, then table row

Thanks, but thats more of a workaround and seems im not the only person with the issue.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Table-Visual-Prevent-unfiltering-on-row-click/td-p/547465 and the "click" solution was also offered, but fine if you know that, but for users using the report...

The search continues.

I eventually ended up removing the map visual as wasnt working how i wanted it to.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.