Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Table and Matrix Tooltips

With the July release, Tooltips were released for table and matrix visuals. So, I need clarification or confirmation/denial of what I am seeing. I have seen tooltips work for report pages but there is also the "Default" option when you turn on Tooltips for table and matrix visuals. According to the feature announcement:

"Once the tooltip card is turned to on, you’ll get the standard Power BI tooltip for your visual."

Except, I do not see the standard "Tooltip" area for tables and matrix visuals. I would expect to see a Tooltips area above FILTERS where I could drag and drop fields to appear in the tooltip for the visual. But I don't get that, it just shows some of the information and that's a little odd as well. I have noticed that on different cells, the tooltip shows different amounts of information. For example, I have a 3 column table and on two of the cells in the row it shows 2 columns of information in the tooltip and on the other one it shows all 3 columns in the the tooltip.

Am I completely off-base to say that activating a tooltip for a table/matrix visual that just repeats the information that is already shown in the table is a completely useless feature? The entire desire behind having a tooltip for table and matrix visuals was to allow you to put things that you didn't want to display in the table as additional information that would pop up when you hovered over the item. Right???

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler 

Yeah, I think you're right on the money here. 

And the link referenced in the prior response is not helpful.  That was a suggestion that was supposedly handled by the update that you are stating is insufficient.  

There should be a tooltip area in the Fields where we can drag and drop fields that *are not* already in the Table/Matrix visualization.  It exists for other visualizations, just not for Table/Matrix for reasons I can't wrap my head around.

v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Greg_Deckler

The tooltip shows different columns of information as the data in table has aggregation(such as sum). You may refer to below picture.

Based on my research, It seems it’s not supported to have a customizable tooltip for table or matrix visual. For your requirement, you may post your comment for this similar idea.

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.