Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Accelins
Frequent Visitor

Table Visual timeout across multiple dimensions

Hello, 

I'm having issues adding multiple dimension columns into a table visual - I have built a star schema (shown in the picture), and when I add in a 2nd dimension my table times out. I'm using a series of measures that replicate across different D365 Transaction Types based on the fact tables.

Member Gross Premium = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'F Member Transaction Line Item'[Member Original Currency Amount] ),
    CALCULATETABLE (
        'D365 Transaction Type',
        'D365 Transaction Type'[D365 Transaction Type Name] = "Premium"
    )
) + 0

Member Gross Premium - Unpaid = 
VAR Settled =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Member Settlement'[Member Settled Original Amount] ),
        CALCULATETABLE (
            'D365 Transaction Type',
            'D365 Transaction Type'[D365 Transaction Type Name] = "Premium"
        )
    )
RETURN
    ( Settled - [Member Gross Premium] ) * -1

So when I add the measures in it works fine, I add in data from the "Premium Transaction" dimension and this works fine, then If I try to add in a column from the "Currency" Dimension the table runs out of memory and I need to add dimension data from more tables.
It's a medium size model with around 20mil rows (metadata shown below) and this is built using Kimbal - I have even separated out string columns into their own dimension. 

If I have 2 table visuals and select a row Power BI filters the row very quickly and gives the desired result but Ideally I need all the information in one table. 

Model Meta DataModel Meta DataStar SchemaStar Schemareport pagereport page

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Accelins
Frequent Visitor

Ended up changing some of the model fct and dimensions to achieve optimal performance 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Accelins
Frequent Visitor

Ended up changing some of the model fct and dimensions to achieve optimal performance 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I always try to avoid any iterators but I also did try FILTER instead of CALCULATETABLE but it returned the same result - table timeout. 

Use DAX Studio to examine the query.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.