Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

j_ocean
Helper V
Helper V

Table Visual Hides Rows when First Column Cell is Blank: Was This a Known Bug?

I have a modestly complex data model, from which I'm using a table visual to flatten out various categorical data fields. The end result should be a row with an ID number on the first column and all kinds of various text fields any of which (including the ID) could possibly be empty.

This should be fairly straightforward; however, I'm finding columns to the right of a blank don't fill in, so if the blank is the ID number on the far left, the whole row disappears. If I move the ID number to the far right, it shows blanks as expected. I did the same with a variable from another table that also would mismatch and yield blanks, it exhibits the same behavior.

So, what I expect:

001     A     B     C

V     E     X

002     B     O     T

What I get:

001     A     B     C

002     B     O     T

Or:

A     B     C     001

V     E     X     

B     O     T     002

I've tried setting all variables to "show items with no data," no luck. I confirmed there are no unexpected filters affecting the table. I tried using a measure to fill in an "x" when the ID number is blank but I can't get that to work because the blanks are artifacts of the mismatched data, not a null cell. All my connections are 1:M and bidirectional.

The only clue I've found is that it was built in an older "for report server" version, and when I built the same schema with arbitrary data in the current Desktop version, I can't recreate the issue. So what I'm hoping is it was a bug that was fixed in the last year or so. Otherwise it might be a setting somewhere I don't know about, or some quirk of the real data. Can anyone narrow down those possibilities?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
j_ocean
Helper V
Helper V

I never found a real fix for this,  but to work around by either

a) trial-and-error order the columns to show everything, or

b) use a flattened single table instead of the data model. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
j_ocean
Helper V
Helper V

I never found a real fix for this,  but to work around by either

a) trial-and-error order the columns to show everything, or

b) use a flattened single table instead of the data model. 

Gabriel_Walkman
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Sounds like a bug to me. "Show items with no data" should work. Check that your id value is not using last / max / any other grouping method.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.