Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Table Transformations for Dynamic Columns

Hi,

Input:

I have a table with changing #'s of columns.

Process:

I need to take the first two characters of these columns. So I need PQ to dynamically identify which columns to take the first two characters from depending on their header name. For instance, something like for all columns that start with ABCD, take the first two characters of every row.

Problem:

I know how to make a list of the headers that start with ABCD. But I don't know how to pass that list to a TableTransformColumns_Text.Start(ColumnList, 2). Where columnlist is Power BI only seems to accept 1 column value at a time, and if more are desired the code needs to be repeated with the new column name which of course won't work dynamically.

Any ideas on how to pass dynamic column amounts through a table transformation text.start? Thanks!

For ex: The below code works with removing columns dynamically. Something like this but with Text.Start

Source = Table.FromRows({{"New York", 23, 51, 732}, {"Chicago", 25, 421, 23}, {"Los Angeles", 632, 22, 423}}, {"City", "Value 1", "Value 2", "Column 3"}),
    ColumnsToRemove = List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Source), each Text.StartsWith(_, "V")),
    RemovedColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(Source, ColumnsToRemove)

Thanks,

Buri 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

HI @Anonymous

If I understand the problem correctly

Suppose in your above sample, you want to transform the Columns starting with V

for example multiply all values by 10 or divide them by 10 you can use something like this

let
Source = Table.FromRows({{"New York", 23, 51, 732}, {"Chicago", 25, 421, 23}, {"Los Angeles", 632, 22, 423}}, {"City", "Value 1", "Value 2", "Column 3"}),
ColumnsToTransform= List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Source), each Text.StartsWith(_, "V")),
ActionToPerform=List.Repeat({each _ *10},List.Count(ColumnsToTransform)),
Transformed=Table.TransformColumns(Source,List.Zip({ColumnsToTransform,ActionToPerform}))
in
 Transformed

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

Please try this function:

(InputTable as table, ListOfColNames, TransformFunction as function) =>
let
    TransformFunctionList = List.Transform(ListOfColNames, (x) => {x, TransformFunction}),
    Transform = Table.TransformColumns(InputTable, TransformFunctionList)
in
    Transform

Name it "fnTransformMany" and call it like so:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows({{"New York", "23", "51", "732"}, {"Chicago", "25", "421", "23"}, {"Los Angeles", "632", "22", "423"}}, {"City", "Value 1", "Value 2", "Column 3"}),
    ColumnsToRemove = List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Source), each Text.StartsWith(_, "V")),
    Result = fnTransformMany(Source, ColumnsToRemove, each Text.Start(_, 2))
in
    Result

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I do not but @ImkeF might.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Please try this function:

(InputTable as table, ListOfColNames, TransformFunction as function) =>
let
    TransformFunctionList = List.Transform(ListOfColNames, (x) => {x, TransformFunction}),
    Transform = Table.TransformColumns(InputTable, TransformFunctionList)
in
    Transform

Name it "fnTransformMany" and call it like so:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows({{"New York", "23", "51", "732"}, {"Chicago", "25", "421", "23"}, {"Los Angeles", "632", "22", "423"}}, {"City", "Value 1", "Value 2", "Column 3"}),
    Result = fnTransformMany(Source, ColumnsToRemove, each Text.Start(_, 2))
in
    Result

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ImkeF@Zubair_Muhammad@Greg_Deckler - Thank you so much. You all are awesome and I really appreciate the help. Brilliant solutions!

HI @Anonymous

If I understand the problem correctly

Suppose in your above sample, you want to transform the Columns starting with V

for example multiply all values by 10 or divide them by 10 you can use something like this

let
ColumnsToTransform= List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Source), each Text.StartsWith(_, "V")),
ActionToPerform=List.Repeat({each _ *10},List.Count(ColumnsToTransform)),
Transformed=Table.TransformColumns(Source,List.Zip({ColumnsToTransform,ActionToPerform}))
in
 Transformed

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.