Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ghutchins
Helper II
Helper II

Table Relationships

Got a newbie question about how to relate tables together.

I have ~15 tables in my data viz and about the only common column between them all is my designator for 'Site'  which is either a Power Query calculation or data pulled from the data source.  When i started there were two tables so i just made a relationship between those two sites using 'Site'.  As i was tasked to add more data i just kept relating 'Site' in the first table to 'Site' in all the new tables.

At this point i am getting some strange behaviour that I dont understand.  It occured to me that maybe in need a ?Site Table? to relate all the other tables to instead of the first data table.  I think sometimes a "Data Table" is used do the same thing.

My question, would it be benefical to create this ?Site Table? with one column that had all the sites i use and point all the other tables to it?

3 REPLIES 3
ghutchins
Helper II
Helper II

@amitchandak I got an email asking if this is an acceptable solution.  It very well may be but I still have quesiton above since I am so new at PBI

ghutchins
Helper II
Helper II

@amitchandak What does "create as a dimension" mean?  do i create a table with all the sites then make a 1-many realtionship between this new table and the other ~15 existing tables?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ghutchins , Based on what  I got, If you have multiple tables having sites, you need to create it has dimension

https://amitchandak.medium.com/power-bi-when-i-asked-you-to-create-common-tables-a-quick-dax-solutio...

You can do same in power query too

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.