Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Table Properties Cant change Storage Mode

Im trying to test changing the Storage model of a table in Power BI. In model view I go to the table, In Properties Advanced I have Storage Mode. I can see Im on Import. When I try to change it to Direct Query it wont change.

Is it not possible to change from Import to Direct query?

My worry is, I have a great number of measures and calculated columns on this table so I wouldnt want to have to start again

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @DebbieE 

When Power BI Desktop detects an incompatible configuration, it may disallow the change.  It may disallow the configuration because currently Power BI can’t switch from Import to any other storage mode. Or, it may ask you to switch storage modes it if finds a way to perform the change on its own.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Debbie, I'm having a similar issue. In query editor, you'll need to right-click the table you're switching from Import to Direct Query and deselect the Enable Load checkmark. **Before you do this, make a note of your table relationships and any calculated columns or measures.**  Apply query changes, which will remove the table from your model. Right-click the table in Query Editor again and click Enable Load to add the checkmark back. Apply query changes and the table will load to the model with Direct Query. Reapply your relationships and any calculated fields.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ronqui

Unfortunately it is not possible to go back to DirectQuery once the current storage mode is Import.
That's the message that appears when we try to change the Storage Mode:

Response.PNG

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

my goodness this was a post from 2019.  Im pretty sure things have changed with power BI since then. I cant even remember this one it was so long ago. to be honest I havent bothered changing storage modes for any of my projects since then

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DebbieE 

You can change the mode from Import to Direct query. it's feasible only from Direct query to Import.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

I know this, What I tried to say in my post is that I tried changing the table but it wouldnt change. I couldnt reset the option from Import to Direct Query.

In model pane, choose the table and open up Properties

Storage mode > Import

Open it up, try and change to direct query but it wont change

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Debbie, I'm having a similar issue. In query editor, you'll need to right-click the table you're switching from Import to Direct Query and deselect the Enable Load checkmark. **Before you do this, make a note of your table relationships and any calculated columns or measures.**  Apply query changes, which will remove the table from your model. Right-click the table in Query Editor again and click Enable Load to add the checkmark back. Apply query changes and the table will load to the model with Direct Query. Reapply your relationships and any calculated fields.

Hi @DebbieE 

When Power BI Desktop detects an incompatible configuration, it may disallow the change.  It may disallow the configuration because currently Power BI can’t switch from Import to any other storage mode. Or, it may ask you to switch storage modes it if finds a way to perform the change on its own.

quickly.

Hi @v-diye-msft

Would you kindly advise what do you mean by "Incompatible Configuration"? When does it work and when it doesn't?

I recall this feature working fine for me until last year and today when I tried creating a new PBI and on boarded one simple single SQL table from my SQL Server and later change the Storage Mode... suddenly discovered that both "Direct Query" & "Duel" is in Disabled state and I started googling and found this post. But the cause of disable dropdown is totally unclear to me. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.