cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aavilap Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Table Merge creates duplicate records

Hi I’m having the exact same issue when merging two tables, I see you posted that the issue lays with the data and not the merge, can I ask how you solved it? I’m pretty sure I have unique values so I believe that is not the issue, actually the merge is working on someone else’s computer but not on mine. Appreciate any hint you may provide.
tera12 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Sadly, I still have not been able to fix this problem with the "Merge" feature.  I have resorted to using "Append" instead - and in some cases it works and in others it doesn't.  It is a very frustrating situation.

powergirl New Member

I got the same problem.

Source table is an daily order table with duplicated rows, i.e. SKU ID and merged with another matching table with unique rows of SKU ID, and created randomly duplicated rows.

Whatever I tried to remove duplicates or aggregated by median still not get the correct final data.

My order data could get up to 20K rows and it's easily get wrong while I merged the tables.

That is so annoying.

Hope POWER BI experts can really solve this problem.

Thanks.

MS1986 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi, is there anyone who can help with this? I have the same issue and there seems to be no solution for it apart from Table.First, but this function slows down the query...

GenericUsername Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I just ran into the same problem and fixed it by joining the two tables on multiple fields.  For example, let's say a transaction number is the unique field you are joining on, expand the join to include other fields if possible.  So your joins would be on transaction number, time, and amount.  

MS1986 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Yes, that's what I've done too. However, even that solution created some duplicates as we don't have a one to one mappings in some cases. The only solution I could come up with (and one that would've slow down the query significantly) was to remove duplicates against the columns which then were used in merge. To make sure there's only one line per particular combination of columns. It's similar to how vlookup works. It brings up only the first occurrence for duplicates. However, since I'm new to PQ there might be things which I am not aware of. Thus waiting for some more experienced users to chip in.
TS1989 Visitor
Visitor

I've had the same problem for some time now. It looks like it's 'fixed' after changing the privacy settings to 'Always ignore Privacy Level settings'.

Highlighted
SGLake Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I changed the privacy settings and still have the issue too. To work around I just used the remove duplicates feature, I know this is not ideal but I know my table only has one line for each record.

crptsl Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I'm facing the same trouble here. Not sure why merging 2 tables create duplicates. Have anyone got a work around this? 

Update 9/10 : Problem Solved. My original first table already have got unique rows hence I should have merged it as aggregated values otherwise it will further expand the table, causing duplicates. Also, it helps to use and select more than one field as the key to look up if you need that level of granularity. 

Amanda1 New Member

Hi, I was having the same issue, and then I noticed that my second file, from where I was getting the data, had also duplicated figures. That was the problem. After I deleted those duplicates, I clicked on the refresh button, and the problem was solved!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

PBI Community Highlights

PBI Community Highlights

Check out what's new in the Power BI Community!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 2,970 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: