Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DataGuy2016 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Table Merge creates duplicate records

Hi Folks,

I am stumped.

I am trying to merge two tables into a new table using a LEFT JOIN.  Both tables have unique records on each row.  When I join the tables, BI creates duplicate rows on some records for no apparent reason.  The duplicates are identical in every way.

Can anybody explain this?  Is this a bug?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Regular Visitor

Re: Table Merge creates duplicate records

The problem lay with the Data.

The LEFT JOIN functionality of PowerBI works perfectly.

22 REPLIES 22
v-ljerr-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @DataGuy2016,

According to your description, I just tested it in my environment. The Merge Queries option works all fine for me without the issue.

I assume the issue is with your data. Could you post your table structure with some sample data which can reproduce the issue? It's better to share a sample pbix file. You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.Smiley Happy

In addition, here is a similar thread for your reference.Smiley Happy

Regards

Regular Visitor

Re: LEFT JOIN creates duplicate records

Hi,

The LEFT JOIN table Merge is creating duplicate records from the LHS table. 

I understand what a LEFT JOIN is. 

My LHS table only has unique rows.  Why is PowerBI creating duplicate records?  These are 100% identical in every respect.

SQL Joins.pngSQL JOINS

Regular Visitor

Hi there,

I am running the merge again and it is still creating duplicate records from the LHS table.  The LHS table has unique rows of data.  So I have 183,000 records merged into 187,000 records post join.

I cannot understand why BI would create an exact duplicate of the LHS row in the merged table?  Could it possibly be because the primary key is duplicated?  I know that this is not scientifically viable however this is the closest I can get to a primary key.

Regular Visitor

The problem lay with the Data.

The LEFT JOIN functionality of PowerBI works perfectly.

Highlighted
J_R_Cribb Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi @DataGuy2016

If you haven't already found a solution...

I had a similar issue where LEFT JOIN was creating duplicates, resulting over 1000 rows of data where I should have just 85.

I solved the issue by expanding the relative columns as an aggregate, instead of just an expansion.

Hope that this makes sense.

tera12 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I am having the same problem with my data.  And no, I do not understand your answer to "expand as an aggregate," will you please clarify?

I know this is an old thread, but if someone else is still reading this thread and would like to offer help, I appreciate it!

J_R_Cribb Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi @tera12

I have created a quick sample that I hope helps explain my method. It may not work with your data, but it did fix the issue with mine!

I have two tables, I would like to merge 'Customer Type' with 'Customer Name'.

1.JPGCustomer Name Table

2.JPGCustomer Type Table

I would like to merge using the 'ID' column in both, to bring in the 'Cust Type' field from table 'Customer Type' into table 'Customer Name'.

3.JPGMerge Options

Once successfully merged, I see the below:

6.JPG

I now have the option to expand that column of the merged table to bring in data from the 'Customer Type' table. But this is where I choose to Aggregate a field rather than expand. You may require a different aggregate measure other than median, dependant on data type:

4.JPGExpand as Aggregate

The result from my data is below:

5.JPGResult

Please also see sample.pbix file which I hope can help you with your issue.

tera12 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

HI JR,

Thank you for the response.  Could you send me an email at trossgreene@stormsmart.com.  I want to talk with you more and share a sample file, but I can't figure out how to upload an excel file here.

Thanks,

Tera

Jbmolina93 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue thanks. What did you do to fix your data set?