Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rodneyc8063
Helper V
Helper V

Table (Matrix) Visual that Allows Multiple Row Groupings?

In our current reporting tool, we are able to have multiple row groupings displayed at the same time such as this

OBIEE.jpg

So I have a "Home Faculty short Desc" row grouping, as well as a second "OUAC Choice Group Desc", then my values. Technically both the columns are drill downs as well, but thats fine.

I am playing around with the Matrix visual specifically and the closest I can get to the same is as follows

pbi.jpg

Even though I have BOTH columns set as "Rows", only ONE is actually showing up as highlighted. The purple column isnt there.

Apparently if I were to "drill down" then I can see the second column grouping like so

pbi 2.jpg

I was wondering, is there ANY visual out there that I can use to display BOTH row/column groupings at the same time?

As really, the OUAC_CHOICE_GROUP_DESC is not really a drill of HOME_FACULTY_SHORT_DESC

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @rodneyc8063 ,

By my tests, I'm afraid that we cannot achieve your desired output in matrix currently. 

For drill down, it is only able to drill sequentially down.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @rodneyc8063 ,

Have you solved your problem with the suggestion of @jdbuchanan71 ?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please share some data sample so that we could copy and have a test on it.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @rodneyc8063 

If you turn off "Stepped layout" under the Row Headers then drilldown I think you will have what you are looking for.

steppedlayout.jpg

Hi @jdbuchanan71 

Thanks for this, this does get me a step closer.

Though I have another question regarding drill downs and hierarchies.

Lets say for example I have the following hierarchy

pbi.jpg

From what I can tell, I can only drill from top to bottom sequentially.

Is there a way that I could show BOTH the [HOME_FACULTY_SHORT_DESC] and [OUAC_CHOICE_GROUP] side by side at the same time while preserving the hierarchy from [HOME_FACULTY_SHORT_DESC]?

So the intial visual shows the two columns side by side (as shown in my first screen shot in my first post) but also allow drilling for the first column?

Or when drilling, is it ONLY able to drill sequentially down? And therefore I cant show more then one row grouping?

I hope this makes sense, difficult to word

Hi @rodneyc8063 ,

By my tests, I'm afraid that we cannot achieve your desired output in matrix currently. 

For drill down, it is only able to drill sequentially down.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Hi @v-piga-msft 

Actually, I just wanted to double check

Is there potentially ANY visual out there that can potentially achieve this functionality?

Hi @v-piga-msft 

Thanks for verifying this

I wasnt sure if it was possible, but its good to know that it is not - Much appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.