Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mk244
Frequent Visitor

Table Calculations

Hello!

I'm trying to recreate a Tableau report in Power BI. The report has many table calculations using Window_Sum(), Window_Avg() and Lookup(). Is there a way to perfrom these calculations in Power BI?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
darrenfishell
Advocate II
Advocate II

I am also searching for an answer to this. Tableau Table Calculations are calculations run AFTER an initial aggregation in a visualization. 

So, say you SUM sales by customer. You can then run the equivalent of a window function across that whole result set or partitions in that result set. They are directly analogous to window functions in SQL. 

I am not aware of something that lets you do this in PowerBI dynamically in a table -- for instance, a running sum along a discrete dimension that responds to the user changing the sort order. 

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi mk244,

Power BI provides powerful DAX(Data Analysis Expressions) function which can help you create new information from data already in your model. DAX is a collection of functions, operators, and constants that can be used in a formula, or expression, to calculate and return one or more values. You can refer to DAX reference here for more details: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/query-bi/dax/data-analysis-expressions-dax-reference.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mk244

You will see most of the funcitions in Power BI as well. You may use SUM(), AVERGARE() along with CALCULATE(), FILTER() as needed.

DAX offers lots of other functions as well for Table calculations.

Thanks

Raj

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.