Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

n8schicht
Helper I
Helper I

Tabel tansformation - need help

Hello everybody,

have a table with article numbers and description texts. An article number can have several descriptive texts.

For this I have this table:

Artikel:Text:
XY1XY1-Text1
XY1XY1-Text2
XY1XY1-Text3
XY1XY1-Text4
XY2XY2-Text1
XY2XY2-Text2
XY3XY3-Text1
XY3XY3-Text2
XY3XY3-Text3
XY3XY3-Text4
XY3XY3-Text5
XY3XY3-Text6
XY4XY4-Text1
XY4XY4-Text2
XY4XY4-Text3
XY4XY4-Text4

But I would like to transform it as follows:

Artikel:Text1Text2Text3Text4Text5Text6
XY1XY1-Text1XY1-Text2XY1-Text3XY1-Text4  
XY2XY2-Text1XY2-Text2    
XY3XY3-Text1XY3-Text2XY3-Text3XY3-Text4XY3-Text5XY3-Text6
XY4XY4-Text1XY4-Text2XY4-Text3XY4-Text4  

Unfortunately I can't find a solution ... or I have no idea how to solve it. I think first of all the maximum number of texts per article number must be counted, then these columns must be generated and then all data must be in the respective correct column or line ...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @n8schicht ,

You can copy and paste the below codes in your Advanced Editor to get it:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wiog0VNIBkbohqRUlhkqxOuhiRljEjLGImUDFjMBiRijmIYvBzDMGixmjqEMWw6bOGIuYCRYxUyxiZlAxE7CYCYq9yGJGWMSMsYgB7Y0FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Artikel = _t, Text = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Artikel", type text}, {"Text", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Artikel"}, {{"Count", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "Cum",1,1), type table}}),
    #"Expanded Table" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Count", {"Text", "Cum"}, {"Text", "Cum"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table", {{"Cum", type text}}, "en-US"), 
                        List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table", {{"Cum", type text}}, "en-US")[Cum]), "Cum", "Text")
in  #"Pivoted Column"

yingyinr_0-1616136120426.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @n8schicht ,

You can update the codes as below to achieve it:

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wiog0VNIBkbohqRUlhkqxOuhiRljEjLGImUDFjMBiRijmIYvBzDMGixmjqEMWw6bOGIuYCRYxUyxiZlAxE7CYCYq9yGJGWMSMsYgB7Y0FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Artikel = _t, Text = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Artikel", type text}, {"Text", type text}}),
#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Artikel"}, {{"Count", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "Cum",1,1), type table}}),
#"Expanded Table" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Count", {"Text", "Cum"}, {"Text", "Cum"}),
#"Inserted Prefix" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Table", "Prefix", each "Feature_" & Text.From([Cum], "en-US"), type text),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Inserted Prefix",{"Cum"}),
#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns", {{"Prefix", type text}}, "en-US"),
List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns", {{"Prefix", type text}}, "en-US")[Prefix]), "Prefix", "Text")
in
#"Pivoted Column"

yingyinr_0-1616228096395.png

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@n8schicht , create a column in power query witch same as text

text1 = text

split the column by delimiter - https://www.tutorialgateway.org/how-to-split-columns-in-power-bi/

keep part 2

and then you can unpivot - https://radacad.com/pivot-and-unpivot-with-power-bi

or use that column of matrix

sorry, but i can´t understand... 

i don´t want to split the text...

i want to transform the values from article number from many rows to one row.... as i showed

@amitchandak 

so it looks in my Power-Query:

n8schicht_0-1616005146746.png

and this is how it should look after editing in Power-Bi:

n8schicht_1-1616005425503.png

Hi @n8schicht ,

You can copy and paste the below codes in your Advanced Editor to get it:

let
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table", {{"Cum", type text}}, "en-US"), 
                        List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table", {{"Cum", type text}}, "en-US")[Cum]), "Cum", "Text")
in  #"Pivoted Column"

yingyinr_0-1616136120426.png

Best Regards

@v-yiruan-msft 

Perfect! this is what i want to have! THX 

I still have one question instead.
Is there a way to automatically name the dynamically created number columns?
I just want to have a "Feature_" in front of the number.

I did it manually after creation, but that is not a good way, because it can be that there are more than the 8 columns mentioned at the moment in another data record ...

#"Umbenannte Spalten" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Pivoted Column",{{"1", "Feature_1"}, {"2", "Feature_2"}, {"3", "Feature_3"}, {"4", "Feature_4"}, {"5", "Feature_5"}, {"6", "Feature_6"}, {"7", "Feature_7"}, {"8", "Feature_8"}})

Hi @n8schicht ,

You can update the codes as below to achieve it:

let
#"Inserted Prefix" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Table", "Prefix", each "Feature_" & Text.From([Cum], "en-US"), type text),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Inserted Prefix",{"Cum"}),
#"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns", {{"Prefix", type text}}, "en-US"),
List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns", {{"Prefix", type text}}, "en-US")[Prefix]), "Prefix", "Text")
in
#"Pivoted Column"

yingyinr_0-1616228096395.png

Best Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.