Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

charleshale
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

TREATAS failing in summarize table --- unless VALUES() replaced in VAR string --- anyone know why?

Hi there.  I frequently use TREATAS with success when I have 2 separate very large tables (in this case, "Stripe" and "Posts") with the same user id convention.   A table I often run is looking at stripe # of transactions and comparing it to the # of posters.  Since at Patch.com you have to pay to post broadly, this is a way we measure cheaters -- people who are posting a huge amount but not paying to do so.      ANYWAY - in the instance below, the column with TREATAS is failing to see the row context in the non-summarize table and giving me the count of all rows in the table.   Can anyone see what I'm missing?   Note: user_id is the same convention and same data type in both tables 

Table =
VAR _MyTable =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        SUMMARIZE ( 'Stripe', 'Stripe'[user_id] ),
        "StripeCount", CALCULATE ( COUNT ( Stripe[TransactionID] ) )
    )
VAR _MyTable2 =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        _MyTable,
        "PostCount",
            CALCULATE (
                COUNTROWS ( Posts ),
                TREATAS ( VALUES ( Posts[user_id] ), 'Stripe'[user_id] )
            )
    )
RETURN
    _MyTable2

Thank you.   Charlie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding what you are trying to do, but if the tables have dates, you can also create a Date Table as a dimension to use in the visuals (and measures, filters, slicers...) and simple COUNT measures will return what you are looking for. 

model.jpgP&T.gif

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
charleshale
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Agreed. It should work.   This might be the dreaded INT bug that pops up every now and then 

charleshale
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

AHA - I am not sure why the following makes a difference but here is the key:

The following fails to switch filter context:

ADDCOLUMNS(_MyTable,
                "@Transactions", CALCULATE([measure] ,    REMOVEFILTERS(), TREATAS( VALUES('Stripe'[user_id]), Posts[user_id])))

The following works:

ADDCOLUMNS(_MyTable,
        "@transactions", 
       VAR _UID = Stripe[User_ID]
       RETURN          
       CALCULATE([measure] ,    REMOVEFILTERS(), TREATAS( {_UID} , Posts[user_id])))

Brighter DAX minds may know why moving the VALUES() part of TREATAS() into a VAR fixes the context change.  I have no clue why.....but this is the only way it seems to work.

Brightest minds of DAX - any thoughts?

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Do both your fact tables have dates?

Paul on Linkedin.

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

CALCULATE Changes the context.

If I'm understanding what you are trying to achieve (compare the transactions with the number of posts by user id), why not set up the model with a User ID as a dimension and then simply use 2 COUNT measures?

model.jpgresult.jpg

Sample file attached

Paul on Linkedin.

Thanks, @PaulDBrown .  The reason I dont do that is that the user_id table doesn't have date elements so taking that approach requires intersecting with or cross joining a date table.   Since the user_id table is several million rows, I get really large cardinality doing that.

Interestingly, the following configurations DOES work.

Absuer2 = CALCULATETABLE (
    SUMMARIZECOLUMNS (
        'Stripe'[user_id],
        "@#EventsPosts", CALCULATE ([#Posts|NonDistinct|Event],
            TREATAS ( VALUES (  'Stripe'[user_id]), Posts[author_id] )),
        "@#Tx", [_.#Paid_Tx_Gross]
        )
    )

I am puzzled as to why the foregoing works but the summarize () at top doesn't.   It must be a data lineage issue with how TREATAS () works......but I'm not seeing what it is exactly.   It's an interesting issue

Why does the User ID table need dates? Can't you have a Date table as another dimension?

Also, the table you are constructing doesn't have any dates in it, so in effect it is the same as the table visual I posted.

Paul on Linkedin.

Good question.  The post table actually goes back 15 years and is 100m rows.  The idea is to see what the cheater ratio is like over time.   When I try to have a measure with dates under the following type of code, whereas I would think that the model's inherent date connections to the measure would calc, without a specific crossjoin, I am not getting the date context.   Any thoughts on how you would do that?   It's also odd that the CALCULATE TABLE () construction works with the TREATAS () but the SUMMARIZE () configuration doesn't.....but TREATAS can be tricky

Table = 
 ADDCOLUMNS (
    SUMMARIZE  ( User , USER_ID),
 "Measure", ........
)

Another issue: whereas SUMMARIZECOLUMNS() works for a table, it doesn't work in a measure (because of the ADDMISSINGITEMS() problem when using SUMMARIZECOLUMNS.  

Theoretically the following would work instead in a measure

Table = 
 ADDCOLUMNS (
    VALUES( STRIPE [USER_ID] ),
 "Measure", ........
)

But TREATAS () fails the change the filter context there whereas it does with SUMMARIZECOLUMNS()

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding what you are trying to do, but if the tables have dates, you can also create a Date Table as a dimension to use in the visuals (and measures, filters, slicers...) and simple COUNT measures will return what you are looking for. 

model.jpgP&T.gif

Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.