Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Maghed
Frequent Visitor

TOPN

Hi All,

I spent 2 days trying do the following with no success!

I have a simple table "Ranking Table"  with one column "Rank" that has the following 4 values (3,5,7,10) 

I have also a visual slicer that allows me to select one fo the 4 values 3,5,7,10 from the above

then I have this formula: Table2 = TOPN(7,Table1,Table1[Dues],DESC)

this works perfect as long as I type 3 or 5 or 7 or 10 manually

But it never works if I select the value 3 or 5 or 7  or 10 from the slicer

I tried all the possible creating measures, varaibles etc and using instead of typing the number directly in TOPN but it never works 

7 REPLIES 7
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Try this

1. Create a measure to harvest the value chosen in the slicer: Measure1 = MIN(Topn[Value])
  2. Create a messure to calculate Total dues.  Total dues = SUM(Table1[Dues])
  3. Modify your measure to Table2 = TOPN([Measure1],Table1,[Total dues],DESC)

Does this work?

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Hi Ashish and All,

No I tried this and will never work. Varaibles , measures etc.

However i was able t find a workaround without creating table 2 at all.

0- Table1 has only 2 columns GA & total Dues(Which I created a measure mTotal_Dues for it

1- I created a measure   mRANK = RANKX(ALL(table1),[mTotal_Dues],,DESC) in Table1

2- I created another measure mSelTopNNumber = INT(SELECTEDVALUE('Ranking Selection'[Rank])) still in Table 1 to get the selected value form my slicer 3,5,7,10 "The Slicer Table has only one cloumn Rank with 3,5,7,10 as values

3-I created a 3rd measure check = IF([mRANK]<=[mSelTopNNumber],1,0) still in Table1 to test the rank of each row against the selected value in the slicer to Check measure in the Visual Filter and set its value to 1,0

Now, every time I choose a value from the slicer, 3,5,7,10 my visual diplays only the n number of rows that meets the visual filter with value1 ...meaning if I selected 5 in the slicer, Visual diplays only 5 rows ranked corretly etc , selecting 7 visual diplays 7 rows and so on,

I get rid of TOPN that seems static, meaning I can supply a number only in the n_Value paramter not any measure or variable which provide static visual , but not dynamic visual at all.

If an expert has an alternative to get TOPN to allow dynamic value in n_value parameter, please proivde a way for this.

BR

Maghed

This is newest dynamic TOPN-approach: https://blog.gbrueckl.at/2019/05/power-bi-dynamic-topn-others-with-drill-down/

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

@Ashish_Mathur I'm afraid it will work.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Maghed

You cannot create a table and pass slicer value to it. Any reason why you are creating a table?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

I am new ..

I need to create the table to be able to display it as visual

It simply contains two columns Product and Quantity

Table1 that I am using is well structured with unique product ID and sum of quantity for each

\What I am trying to achieve is to get a dynamic number of rows from Table1 ranked decending to be able to dispaly as table visual

meaning user selects 5 she gets a table with 5 top Products in terms of quantity

user selects 7 she gets the same but for the TOP 7 not 5 and so on.

Thank you.

@Maghed no problem, understood. Please share data in excel using onedrive/google drive, remove any sensitive information before sharing and I will get you the solution

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.