Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

astarkey
Frequent Visitor

TIME/Duration conversion & averages

Ok i always seem to struggle with time in BI and I've a project that its quite critical I can display values as hours and minutes, not deciaml time and not just whole minutes...

I have a tabel that contains the actual duration as a number and I have converted that into whole minutes, but when I try and create visuals etc... I can return average values that are in hours and minutes, Unless I use 

Measure 2 = (FORMAT([hours and mins], "hh:mm"))

But that is a text field, Great for Card visuals but do not work in charts.

Yet when I run an average across my actaul time coumn I get a decimal figure in my chart.

I have tried to format the column with the actual hours and minutes as duration etc... but it goes all over the place.

Seems like such a simple thing I want to do but I cannot get it to work and I know that displaying the values as decimal won't be considered acceptable

2 REPLIES 2
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @astarkey,

How about creating a tooltip based on a measure? Example:  

tooltip =
FORMAT ( DIVIDE ( AVERAGE ( 'Table'[Time in Minutes] ), 60 ), "HH:MM" )

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Thanks for the reply

I can get the tooltip to show the correct time already but I don't think thats going to be my solution.... I really need the data

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.