cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tobz Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Synonyms to a tabular model

Hi guys,

Please how do I add synonyms to a SSAS 2016 tabular model to use with Q&A in PowerBI?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Synonyms in 2016 SASS Tabular Model

I don't believe it is possible. The synonyms are set In The data modelling for Power BI which doesn't happen when you use SSAS tabular direct query. 

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

Microsoft v-ljerr-msft
Microsoft

Re: Synonyms to a tabular model

Hi @tobz,

If you're using live connection to your SSAS 2016 tabular model with Power BI, then it is not possible to use synonyms feature in this scenario as Matt mentioned above.

However, if you're connecting to your SSAS 2016 tabular mode with Import model, then you should be able to access synonyms in the Relationship view by selecting Modeling > Synonyms.Smiley Happy

Regards

5 REPLIES 5
tobz Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Synonyms in 2016 SASS Tabular Model

Hi Guys,

Please how can I add synonyms to a SSAS 2016 tabular model to use with Q&A in Power BI?

Re: Synonyms in 2016 SASS Tabular Model

I don't believe it is possible. The synonyms are set In The data modelling for Power BI which doesn't happen when you use SSAS tabular direct query. 

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Microsoft v-ljerr-msft
Microsoft

Hi @tobz,

If you're using live connection to your SSAS 2016 tabular model with Power BI, then it is not possible to use synonyms feature in this scenario as Matt mentioned above.

However, if you're connecting to your SSAS 2016 tabular mode with Import model, then you should be able to access synonyms in the Relationship view by selecting Modeling > Synonyms.Smiley Happy

Regards

thesqlgeek New Member

I have customers who have done this with Language files in SSAS Direct connection.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/analysis-services/tabular-models/translations-in-tabular-models...

Benv117 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Could you please elaborate more on how this can be achieved? Any videos or links which explains how the synonyms in the Power BI can be customized for SSAS tabular model data source?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Join us in the third Triple A event!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're celebrating the start of the New Super User season with our first ever Super User 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

We are super excited for our update this month, as we are releasing two of our top community requests!

Power Platform Online Conference

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

Top Solution Authors