Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Lorian
Advocate II
Advocate II

Syncing Filters carries across to unselected pages

I have sync'd up a date slicer across a number of pages, and that works fine. But when I go to the pages that I haven't chosen to sync, it's syncing it anyways! There are no date filters on the unsynced page - not in the visuals nor on a page/report level. And if I add a new filter on it, it only allows me to see the dates that fall between the selected dates on the sync'd pages. So if I'm looking at last month on my other pages, my summary page which only shows for yesterday will not display anythings but blanks.

How do I get the dates to work separately on the unselected pages?

I'm using the latest release of the Desktop for Report Server. None of this has been uploaded to the RS, so it's purely an issue I'm facing in Desktop.

Sync Selections.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Lorian
Advocate II
Advocate II

Ok, I figured out what was wrong. Whilst the sync was not selected, the date filter remained on the page, visible only in the Selections Pane. By unhiding the dates I could then delete them and it worked as expected again.

Does anyone have any idea on why the date remains there? It would have been added to the page when I synced everything, but wasn't completely removed when I unsynced those 2 pages. These pages never had a visible filter prior to the sync.

Selection Pane.PNG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Had the same issue when I attempted to add a sync slicer and later removed it. The filter persisted with no visual controls and I was pulling my hair out until I opened the seleciton pane like you suggested, thanks for finding it! 🙂

JHuang
Regular Visitor

Hi, Lorian,

I also need to sync date filters for charts on the same report page with the date selected from a date slicer.  Would you please tell me how did you do it?  Is it possible to select the date from a tooltip of a line chart?

Thanks!

Heya,

I was looking at it incorrectly syncing across other pages as well - that did not have the filter at all, or had not been sync'd to the original filter. So not sure if I'm understanding your problem? But I'll try to help:

"sync date filters for charts on the same report page with the date selected from a date slicer." - the slicer should work for all tables and charts on the same page it's displayed on. Double check your filters pane on the right of the screen page - if you have filters at the visual/page/report level they will dictate the time range and your page slicer will only show those dates or only display data for the dates selected that are within those dates filtered by. So if I selected "01/01/2018 - 01/06/2018" but my visual/page/report level filter has my range set to "01/03/2018 - 01/06/2018" then I would only see "01/03/2018 - 01/06/2018" regardless of what I select on the slicer.

If that's not the issue, you can check the 'Selection Pane', the below image shows where you'll find the option to view it. Check the box for 'Sync slicers 'as well so that you can see if other pages are influencing your page slicer.

toolbar.PNG

In your Selections pane, if you have an object with a straight line next to it instead of an eye, it means its hidden. I had 2 date objects that somehow got stuck there after syncing, I selected and deleted them, as even though they were hidden they were still working as filters. So just check that you don't have a similar thing going on.

selections.png

By selecting the filter on your page and looking at the Sync Slicers Pane, you'll be able to see if the filter is linked and being affected by any other filters on other pages.

"Is it possible to select the date from a tooltip of a line chart?" - from what I tried it doesn't seem to work that way. The tooltip is simply a display of additional info you want available to the user upon hovering over points on the chart. By adding dates it will only display a measure of the date (earliest/latest/count). You will need to have a slicer or filter to do this. You can add the date as a second level, enable Drill Down and then when they click on something it will display that by date, but don't know how that works when you want multiple selections.

Your solution helped me a lot dealing with my problem, also using slicer groups for syncing made it easier for me to manage my filters. Very recommendable when you are using multiple slicers.

Lorian
Advocate II
Advocate II

Ok, I figured out what was wrong. Whilst the sync was not selected, the date filter remained on the page, visible only in the Selections Pane. By unhiding the dates I could then delete them and it worked as expected again.

Does anyone have any idea on why the date remains there? It would have been added to the page when I synced everything, but wasn't completely removed when I unsynced those 2 pages. These pages never had a visible filter prior to the sync.

Selection Pane.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.