Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

slc7456
Advocate III
Advocate III

Sync slicers with bookmarks

Purpose: Synce slicer across Bookmarks.  

Background: I would like my date slicer to sync across bookmarks. In the below example I selected Q3 as my time frame in the "Everyone" bookmark. However, when I go to the "Mountaineering" bookmark my time frame selection is removed. 

Can slicers sync across bookmarks and pages? Or only pages? 

everyone.pngMountaineering.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Slicers sync across pages, not bookmarks. That being said, it is possible that perhaps if you turn on selection controls that you may be able to achieve your desired result. My thinking is that perhaps you can save your bookmark without cross filters and then perhaps your synchronized slicers might work and not get their values removed by the bookmark.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Slicers sync across pages, not bookmarks. That being said, it is possible that perhaps if you turn on selection controls that you may be able to achieve your desired result. My thinking is that perhaps you can save your bookmark without cross filters and then perhaps your synchronized slicers might work and not get their values removed by the bookmark.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler I am trying to resolve the issue. I am also trying to understand what you meant by "if you turn on selection controls that you may be able to achieve your desired result. My thinking is that perhaps you can save your bookmark without cross filters and then perhaps your synchronized slicers might work and not get their values removed by the bookmark."  Thanks!

@JustinDoh1 

Greg_Deckler_0-1654791049252.png

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler 

I am still having trouble with it.

I am not sure how to make it work with options you have indicated:

JustinDoh1_0-1654792921687.png

Do I have to create additional Layer (Selection) to make it work?

JustinDoh1_1-1654793004814.png

The issue is that if I try this way, "Hidden" layer would not stay if I move Bookmark around.

I have posted my Pbix file here if you think it is needed.

Thank you!

@Greg_Deckler 

I got it working by using "update" on the Bookmark option:

JustinDoh1_0-1655143174159.png

I want to have a "between dates" slicers updated when click a bookmark that changes the date range in the slicer on another page. The two slicers are synced but the date range doesn't update on the second page. I can't just deselect the date because the bookmark takes it back to default and I can't uncheck data because data is what I'm changing. Any ideas?

It Worked! 

I unselected Data from each of my bookmarks. Then made sure that my filter was synced to the page with my book marks applied. In the below example my page is called "Product Line Variation". 

Now when I select a quarter it is carried across my bookmarks! 

unselect.png

Q3 Everyone.pngQ3 Mountaineering.png

Thast's Right..  It works perfectly  when you use Bookmark as "Selected Visuais" checked.,  3dots (... ) Options 

DON'T SELECT SLICERS  only the visuals envolved on the boook and even hidden visuals. Actually the Power B.I needs to understand all objects are affected (Shown or Hidden).

Anonymous
Not applicable

It worked.

Sweet! I thought that might work!! 🙂

Latest book!:

My Bookmarks have charts and matrices on them.   When I de-select data for any bookmark, my matrices and charts lose their filters?  The Filter/Slicer does sync but visuals lose their original settings? Any ideas? 

OK, here's a thought, what if in the selection for your bookmark, you choose "Selected Visuals" instead of "All Visuals" and don't select your slicers?

Latest book!:

Same result.  Sent you a private message for possible webex/screenshare to resolve.  

hi @tcofer... did you manage to solve your issue???

tcofer
Regular Visitor

Thank you for reaching out.  No I do not have a solution.  The main issue is that Bookmarks are still in preview mode while Synch Slicers is in Production.   One of my colleagues just attended the annual Microsoft PowerBI Summit in Seattle where they spent a good bit of tie on Bookmarks.  It was mentioned that Bookmarks moving to Production would be in the September or October release.  I am hoping this is true and happens! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello ! 

I may have a solution in order to sync slicers across bookmarks. 

Actually, I've made a lot of trials. 

Sorry by advance if my translation is not correct cause I do not use the english version of PBI so I just translate word-for-word of French. 

So, when you are on your page, open the Bookmarks tab on your screen. 

Right clik on your first bookmark : 

- Data must be selected

- View must be selected

- Actual page must be selected

- Unchek All visuals

- And chek Selected visual

But do not move, it's not finish. 

Press CTRL+A (all of your visuals are selected) and deselect just what you want to be Sync, so deselect your filters. Everything else have to be selected. 

Then, right clik on your Bookmark and "Update".

Do the same on all of your bookmarks. Then, everything should be fixed. 

Hopefully that answers your question. 

Have a nice day !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thank you for your solution. However if I keep my slicers retained, my page filters data associted with each toggle button are not working. Could you please check and see if I am missing something? 

Here is the business use case: 

End-user would like to select specific regions and venues and see sub-rental expense, purchsaed expeses and other types of expenses for selected regions and veunes. 

My approach is:

1. add Regions and Venues filters

2. create three toggle buttons to intereact show corresponding data (Note: as I am using Live connection, I am not able to group each expense item into , so what I did is to create three bookmark to show each type of expense by applying PAGE FILTER)

For example, I applied filters to filter out other types of expense and bookmark it. Same as Sub-rental and Purchased expenses.

3. create three buttons to link to bookmarks to these types of expenses. 

4. Select visuals and exclude "Regions" and "Venues" filters , then update the bookmark. 

However, it turned out filters remain the same in different bookmark, but my page filter also remain the same , which should not. as three pages for three filtered set of expenses...

could you plesae check ? Appreciate your help ahead! 

I also attached my screenshot for your review. result.pngbookmark.png

Jailene

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Anonymous, 

As I understand it, you want to keep filters on Regions and Venues BUT you also want to keep your page filters which are different (in function of your choice : sub-rental, purchased or others). 

My first idea is to think that even if you're creating bookmarks, you are still working on the same page (& same filters).

Did you try to apply your filter not on the page but on the object(s) ? For example, instead of applying this filters on page, apply them on your different objects (table, graph...). You'll need to repeat the action for each of your 3 pages and begin again the operation (select everything except your slicers, then update your bookmark). 

Please, let me know if that helps, 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

Yes, that works well! Thank you so much!

@Anonymous ,

please refer to @Anonymous 's suggestion to fix the issue. It works for me. Let me know if you need help with.

Regards,

Jailene

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

What did you do for the page level filters? Can you please explain?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.