Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mda
Advocate I
Advocate I

Switching report from local dataset to Power BI Service Live Connection

I have a report which is build using its own dataset (import query).

But now I've created a dataset with the same data, which is published in my workspace.
This dataset will be shared across many reports.

The problem is that Power BI doesn't allow me to switch to live data from Power BI Service dataset.

How can I do it?

I don't want to build my report from scratch.

Do I have to delete all local datasets and then it will be possible to select remote dataset?

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I am not aware of a way to switch from import mode to live mode. You could try removing all of your queries and then connecting to the live data set but I would only do that on a copy of the report.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Very old thread, but I had the same question and was able to answer it. The answer is YES! I was doing so to allow my coworkers and I to all work off a shared team site's sharepoint files (directly imported into PowerBI) and have less confusion. I often build the queries and initial report, then they continue developing the report. This gets too complicated to manage when I need to update the back end queries and they are trying to update the report.

First, make two copies of your report. The first is Copy1_Dataset, the second is Copy2_Report. Connect Copy1_Dataset to the PowerBI online service so the dataset is available.

Open the Copy2_Report and then Edit Queries. Delete all the queries and apply changes (you must first apply the deletion before connecting to a PowerBI Dataset is available) Your report will refresh to lots of Xs. Click Get Data, PowerBI Dataset and navigate the the dataset and click Connect. The datset will load and your report is now a live report and you have split the front and back end of your report.

@davinj Your idea sounds great, but somehow it does not work for me. 

I deleted all queries, applied the changes, all charts are marked with an X, but then i still get the error message that the "connect live option is disabled because it already contains data from another data source.."

Do you have any clue on how could i solve this?

BR, G.

Just found the solution to my problem!

@davinj you were right! it works! 🙂 so kudo 🙂

What i had to delete additionaly are the calculated tables i generated in DAX.

BR. G.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.