Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FinanceBI
Frequent Visitor

Switching from Query Editor capitalizes random letters

I recently automated SalesForce data entry using Power BI. However, I'm running into an issue where Power BI will turn some of my text into capital letters, this is only happening to the last letter. The strange thing is that the text maintains it's original format within the query editor (even on the last step), but when I switch to the visual/table view some of the last lowercase letters changes to uppercase. 

I've already tried splitting the columns and it will still do this to the same letter regardless of whether or not the letter is in its own column. 

This appears to be happening to data sets that have been grouped together. I ran into another issue when I grouped items where things wouldn't merge correctly. I found an easy workaround for that issue. This one doesn't seem to have such an easy fix.

I read another post stating the developers intended it to work like this, but I don't think that would apply to this situation as the format only changes when I switch out of query editor (meaning it doesn't happen after any given step). 

Thanks for your help

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FinanceBI
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the response! Perhaps my question wasn't 100% clear. 

I'm running into an issue while trying to build reports in Power BI with data that uses a Case Sensitive unique identifier, specifically SalesForce Data. 

After doing more digging I discovered that this is working as intended. Power BI uses a Case Insensitive language. Upon closing the query editor Power BI will convert some letters to uppercase, the last post on this subject (2017) with a reply from Power BI developers confirmed that this is working as intended. 

For anyone running into this same problem, I have found a workaround and long-term solution.  

Work Around

One simple workaround is to create a numerical unique identifier for all data before uploading into Power BI. After extracting it from Power BI you can use the created Unique ID to merge the data from Power BI back into the original spreadsheet. This should solve this particular problem for anyone trying to automate data entry in SalesForce. However, this is non-ideal as it requires us to pull the data out of Power BI and perform one more step on it. 

Long-Term Solution

Apparently, SalesForce has a Case Sensitive (15 characters) and Non-Case Sensitive (18 characters) unique identifier for all objects. Unfortunately, I built out my dashboards using the Case Sensitive Unique ID, but if you were aware of this issue beforehand you could build out your dashboard building the Non-Case Sensitive Unique ID. 

I plan on using my workaround until I have time to alter my reports using the long-term solution. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
FinanceBI
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the response! Perhaps my question wasn't 100% clear. 

I'm running into an issue while trying to build reports in Power BI with data that uses a Case Sensitive unique identifier, specifically SalesForce Data. 

After doing more digging I discovered that this is working as intended. Power BI uses a Case Insensitive language. Upon closing the query editor Power BI will convert some letters to uppercase, the last post on this subject (2017) with a reply from Power BI developers confirmed that this is working as intended. 

For anyone running into this same problem, I have found a workaround and long-term solution.  

Work Around

One simple workaround is to create a numerical unique identifier for all data before uploading into Power BI. After extracting it from Power BI you can use the created Unique ID to merge the data from Power BI back into the original spreadsheet. This should solve this particular problem for anyone trying to automate data entry in SalesForce. However, this is non-ideal as it requires us to pull the data out of Power BI and perform one more step on it. 

Long-Term Solution

Apparently, SalesForce has a Case Sensitive (15 characters) and Non-Case Sensitive (18 characters) unique identifier for all objects. Unfortunately, I built out my dashboards using the Case Sensitive Unique ID, but if you were aware of this issue beforehand you could build out your dashboard building the Non-Case Sensitive Unique ID. 

I plan on using my workaround until I have time to alter my reports using the long-term solution. 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there Have you looked at adding in a final step which would Capitalize Each Word in the Query Editor? This can be done by right clicking on the column, select Transform and then "Capitalize Each Word" I am certain that should resolve your issue?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

that not a good idea. Unique ID is case sensitive, by changing all to captial letter, it will result in return data that have at least 2 or more repeats which not support to happen.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.