Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StidifordN
Helper III
Helper III

Switch with && and ||

Can a Switch include both && and ||?

Looking for a rule that looks at a the [1. ### V2] (Jan through to Dec) field and if it is 3 or 5 for all 12 fields.   If any of the 12 are not 3 or 5 then return 0, otherwise 1.

CY Activity = SWITCH(
TRUE(),
[1. Jan v2] = 3 || [1. Jan v2] = 5 &&
[1. Feb v2] = 3 || [1. Feb v2] = 5 , 1,
0)

I intend to extend this formula out to a Dec field, but the above isn't working per the below.
for reference - 3 is 'no spend' and grey in the image.  5 is the 'Future' and white in the image.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think this might just be an order of operations issue I think that the logical AND is evaluated first, then the OR.

So effectively you have:  condition1 || ( condition2 && condition3) || condition4 

Whereas I think you want: (condition1 || condition2 ) && (condition3 || condition4)

I think adding extra brackets to force the order of operation you want might fix this:

CY Activity = SWITCH(
TRUE(),
([1. Jan v2] = 3 || [1. Jan v2] = 5 ) &&
([1. Feb v2] = 3 || [1. Feb v2] = 5 ) , 1,
0)

I often use extra bracket if I have multiple logical AND/OR combinations to clarify the ordering 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @StidifordN 

Is [1. Jan v2] a column as below?

c J F M A
1 1 1 1 1
2 1 1 1 1
3 2 1 2 1
4 2 2 2 2
5 3 2 3 3
6 4 4 1 4
7 4 4 4 4
8 3 3 1 3
9 4 4 4 1
10 3 1 3 1
11 4 4 2 4
12 5 5 5 1

Best Regards
Maggie

No, its a measure of nested if statements to result in numbers between 0 and 5 (excluding 2... can't remember why I did that).

I know I can do this a long way, was hoping for a more efficient version.

For each month I could do the below and it works.  Was hoping the && might work.

CY Activity Jan = CALCULATE(SWITCH(
TRUE(),
[1. Jan v2] = 3 || [1. Jan v2] = 5 , 1,
0))

CY Activity Feb = CALCULATE(SWITCH(
TRUE(),
[1. Feb v2] = 3 || [1. Feb v2] = 5 , 1,
0))

And then do another that looks to all 12 for the resulting 1.

Hi @StidifordN 

If you want "CY Activity" measure to meet all conditions, 

for example, 

condition 1: [Measure 1]=3||[Measure 1]=5

condition2:  [Measure 2]=3||[Measure 2]=5

this measure would meet two conditions
cy = SWITCH(TRUE(),([Measure 1]=3||[Measure 1]=5)&&([Measure 2]=3||[Measure 2]=5),1,0)

4.png

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I think this might just be an order of operations issue I think that the logical AND is evaluated first, then the OR.

So effectively you have:  condition1 || ( condition2 && condition3) || condition4 

Whereas I think you want: (condition1 || condition2 ) && (condition3 || condition4)

I think adding extra brackets to force the order of operation you want might fix this:

CY Activity = SWITCH(
TRUE(),
0)

I often use extra bracket if I have multiple logical AND/OR combinations to clarify the ordering 

Champion!

@d_gosbell wrote:

CY Activity = SWITCH(
TRUE(),
0)

StidifordN
Helper III
Helper III

Swtich.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.