Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rodneyc8063
Helper V
Helper V

Switch statement With Dates - Calculated Column vs Measure - Different results?

So just when I thought I was begining to understand Power BI, I get told apparently I dont 🙂

I am begining my Power BI journey, and early on I was told that there is a difference between a MEASURE column, and a CALCULATED column. The main difference being that

-Measure column - Generally used for a summary value, or if I am potentially looking for a single value.

-Calculated column - When I am looking for another column that will provide a calculation acting on that row, so there would be a calculation done for each and every row

Generally though, a measure and a calculated column can behave the same way so I never noticed the difference exactly until the below scenario

I had created a "Date" table as follows

test = CALENDAR(DATE(2018,1,1),DATE(2019,1,1))

I then added 3 more columns

day = DAY(test[Date])
month = MONTH(test[Date])
year = YEAR(test[Date])

Now I also wanted to add another column where if it is a certain month, then I want it to display "Fall" for example.

I have the following switch statement

term test = SWITCH(TRUE(),
MAX(test[month])>=9&&MAX(test[month])<=12,"fall",
MAX(test[month])>=1&&MAX(test[month])<=3,"winter",
MAX(test[month])>=4&&MAX(test[month])<=6,"spring",
MAX(test[month])>=7&&MAX(test[month])<=8,"summer")

At first I made a calculated column using the above code, but for some reason the entire column ONLY returned "fall".

When I tried the exact same code as a MEASURE column, I was actually able to get my expected output - fall, winter, spring, summer

test2.jpg

So [term test] = measure column and [term test cc]=calculated column

I was actually expected the opposite output based on my understanding. If a calculated column acts on "every row", then I would think that when the month goes from 3 to 4 that it should switch from winter to spring.

And since the measure column "acts more as a summary" then I would have thought the entire column would have just showed "fall"

Obviously I was wrong in my understanding, so I was hoping can anyone help clarify what is happening in this situation? What is the difference between a measure and calculated column?

Many thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@rodneyc8063 -

the statement is evaluating to "fall" in all rows; your logic isn't correct.

I think you'll find this to work as intended; allowing you to use as a calculated column:

term test = 
SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    test[month] <= 3, "winter",
    test[month] <= 6, "spring",
    test[month] <= 9, "summer",
    test[month] <= 12, "fall"
)

As far as the differences, I generally think about using a Calculated Column to 'get' a value that did not exist in my dataset as its own "thing". To help me "see" the data. I realize that is enormously generalized, however in your calendar example you can see something similar where you extracted the [month] from the [Date] so you could use/see that number.

You could modify my example to the following code thereby not needing to extract the [month] in its own column:

Column = 
SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    MONTH(test[Date]) <= 3, "winter",
    MONTH(test[Date]) <= 6, "spring",
    MONTH(test[Date]) <= 9, "summer",
    MONTH(test[Date]) <= 12, "fall"
)

Maybe someone else has a better explanation that they're willing to share.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

jsh121988
Employee
Employee

I'd like to elaborate further.

Measures output dynamic values (not stored in data) that operate over your entire model. This means that they don't care what table they sit on.

CalcColumns generate an output based on the input row data, and store the output in data. You can still call values from other tables, but it must be from a lookup or aggregate such as max.

Now to explain why the measure worked and the column didn't.

When you specified MAX() on month and date, it exited the row context and looked at the entire table, and took the MAX value. Since the MAX(Month) on your table is 12, every row returned Fall. Since MAX is an aggregate, it ignores the row context / values. In addition, CalcColumns are calculated only when the table is refreshed, so it only does it once, and doesn't apply any filters unless specified in the formula.

This means the CalcColumn should be written without MAX(). I've also removed the table name because it doesn't matter when referencing values on the same row, though you do need the table name when aggregating.

term test = 
SWITCH( TRUE(), [month] >= 1 && [month] <= 3, "winter", [month] >= 4 && [month] <= 6, "spring", [month] >= 7 && [month] <= 8, "summer",
[month] >= 9 && [month] <= 12, "fall"
)

So why did this work as a measure? It's because you unknowingly filtered the dataset used by the measure when you added the [date] column to your table. So while the measure looks at an entire table, it also considers the incoming filters, in this case [date] was a filter applied to each row in your table visual. It's like writing FILTER(MyTable, [date] = "2018-04-03"), but it does this on each table visual row. Filtered dataset is then passed to your measure which says MAX(Month), and since the dataset is filtered for this row to 2019/4/3, it uses the month number 4.

test2.jpg

I hope this has helped. I know it's confusing, but there are higher level concepts than a rule set of when to use either. It's easier to understand the concept that the rules.

Thanks,

Jon

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jsh121988
Employee
Employee

I'd like to elaborate further.

Measures output dynamic values (not stored in data) that operate over your entire model. This means that they don't care what table they sit on.

CalcColumns generate an output based on the input row data, and store the output in data. You can still call values from other tables, but it must be from a lookup or aggregate such as max.

Now to explain why the measure worked and the column didn't.

When you specified MAX() on month and date, it exited the row context and looked at the entire table, and took the MAX value. Since the MAX(Month) on your table is 12, every row returned Fall. Since MAX is an aggregate, it ignores the row context / values. In addition, CalcColumns are calculated only when the table is refreshed, so it only does it once, and doesn't apply any filters unless specified in the formula.

This means the CalcColumn should be written without MAX(). I've also removed the table name because it doesn't matter when referencing values on the same row, though you do need the table name when aggregating.

term test = 
SWITCH( TRUE(), [month] >= 1 && [month] <= 3, "winter", [month] >= 4 && [month] <= 6, "spring", [month] >= 7 && [month] <= 8, "summer",
[month] >= 9 && [month] <= 12, "fall"
)

So why did this work as a measure? It's because you unknowingly filtered the dataset used by the measure when you added the [date] column to your table. So while the measure looks at an entire table, it also considers the incoming filters, in this case [date] was a filter applied to each row in your table visual. It's like writing FILTER(MyTable, [date] = "2018-04-03"), but it does this on each table visual row. Filtered dataset is then passed to your measure which says MAX(Month), and since the dataset is filtered for this row to 2019/4/3, it uses the month number 4.

test2.jpg

I hope this has helped. I know it's confusing, but there are higher level concepts than a rule set of when to use either. It's easier to understand the concept that the rules.

Thanks,

Jon

ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@rodneyc8063 -

the statement is evaluating to "fall" in all rows; your logic isn't correct.

I think you'll find this to work as intended; allowing you to use as a calculated column:

term test = 
SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    test[month] <= 3, "winter",
    test[month] <= 6, "spring",
    test[month] <= 9, "summer",
    test[month] <= 12, "fall"
)

As far as the differences, I generally think about using a Calculated Column to 'get' a value that did not exist in my dataset as its own "thing". To help me "see" the data. I realize that is enormously generalized, however in your calendar example you can see something similar where you extracted the [month] from the [Date] so you could use/see that number.

You could modify my example to the following code thereby not needing to extract the [month] in its own column:

Column = 
SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    MONTH(test[Date]) <= 3, "winter",
    MONTH(test[Date]) <= 6, "spring",
    MONTH(test[Date]) <= 9, "summer",
    MONTH(test[Date]) <= 12, "fall"
)

Maybe someone else has a better explanation that they're willing to share.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Hi Chris.  Wonder if you can help.  I need the same type of formula.  A switch command in custom column that will return a value of 01 2023, if an invoice date held in ky table is onor after 2 28 2023 and on or before 4 2 2023.  I can't make it work with specific dates.  I want to use switch so I can include conditions for q2 and q3 etc.  Any ideas?  

@SullyWVA - I'm not sure I fully understand your question. I mocked up what I think you are looking for:

Column = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    TableName[InvoiceDate] >= DATE ( 2023, 02, 28 )
        && TableName[InvoiceDate] <= DATE ( 2023, 04, 2 ), "01 2023",
    "something"
)

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.