Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DHB
Helper V
Helper V

Switch groups in 100% Stacked chart

I'm using a 100% Stacked chart and the legend is either Y or N.  I have the N coming up at the bottom of the bar and Y from the top.  Is there any way I can switch those two around so that Y starts at the bottom?

Thank you,

DHB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

There sure is.  Just add a new column to your table that will control the sort order of your Legend column

So please add the following column 

Legend Sort = IF('mytable'[Legendcol] = 'Y' , 0 , 1 )

Then specify the sort order of your existing column to use this new column using the Sort By Column feature

Sort by mont.png

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

There sure is.  Just add a new column to your table that will control the sort order of your Legend column

So please add the following column 

Legend Sort = IF('mytable'[Legendcol] = 'Y' , 0 , 1 )

Then specify the sort order of your existing column to use this new column using the Sort By Column feature

Sort by mont.png

Proud to be a Datanaut!

That's great thanks Phil.

The issue I have now is that I can't sort another column in the same table.   It says Sort By Another Column Error - This column can't be sorted by a column that is already sorted, directly or indirectly , by this column.  Can I only do this once per table?

Oh ok, it looks like you can't then.  I haven't come across that.  I take it you have another Y/N column in your table?

Perhaps just create some more sorting columns (which you can hide)

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Yes, I have two Y/N columns in the same table.  Thank you for your trick for sorting one column, I'll definitely be able to use that elsewhere.

Hi @DHB,

As @Phil_Seamark suggested create another SortBy Column for your additional column. 

You can most definitely then use your additional SortBy column on your additional column.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I've got it now.  I'd been creating sorting columns that referenced the column I wanted to sort.  All working perfectly.  

Thanks so much for your help.

DHB

Hi @GilbertQ,

I tried sorting the two columns with seperate SortBy columns but PBI wasn't happy with it.  I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Thanks,

DHB

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.