Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DavidWaters100
Post Patron
Post Patron

Switch data source from Analysis Services (Cube) to Excel

Hi,

I desinged a dashboard using analysis service connection and cube.  For various reasons I need to switch to an Excel data source instead, but under Transform data I can only change data source to another cube - not a completely different connection.

I didn't really want to start from scracth again!  Anyone know if there is a way to do this please?

thanks

Proud to be a Super User!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DavidWaters100 ,

When we connect with live connection, it can't change data sources and can't change the mode to import either. So for this situation, unfortunately, we only can export data from SSAS to Excel and then import it into Power BI. 

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@DavidWaters100 All right, I'm super stoked that the awesome @SteveCampbell published this blog Friday -> https://powerbi.tips/2020/05/hot-swap-power-bi-report-connections/ it "may" be another option for you. If you publish your Excel file report to the Service and then follow the blog and use the script you could connect to the datasource. I've done with with the AAS connection to Power BI dataset already and it works, this sounds like it would work for you as well... Worth a shot!

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@DavidWaters100 there are many techniques, one listed below, but nothing is official, please take backup of your pbix file before trying anything

http://www.victorrocca.com/how-to-replace-a-data-source-connection-with-a-live-connection-in-power-b...

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@DavidWaters100 First, save a copy of your existing file. Provided the tables are the exact same in Excel... you should be able to delete all data elements from your file in Power Query and any model tables / Close & Apply. Close the file. Re-open the file and re-build your data in PQ. 
Essentially all the front end components remain while you swap out the underlying connection/data.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for your replies - all options are greyed out and cannot get to model to even delete it!  See below.  I can only click on Transform data and then just swap cube connection for another cube!

screen.PNG

@DavidWaters100 cannot you right click on the table in the right pane and delete it.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

No - see below - I can only expand and collapse!  I can't see there is a way!

screen.PNG

Hi @DavidWaters100 ,

When we connect with live connection, it can't change data sources and can't change the mode to import either. So for this situation, unfortunately, we only can export data from SSAS to Excel and then import it into Power BI. 

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.