cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daviss62
Frequent Visitor

Switch True conditions for values in the same column but different rows

Hello.

I am trying to use Switch True that would return a specific value is a particular customer has a certain combination of values (from the same column). However, a customer can have more than one row of data--meaning one value being on one row, and the other value on another row. I want to be able to determine whether or not each customer has the specified Code values from that column (though each Code value is on a different row for the same customer), and then return the appropriate resulting "Code Combination" value.

When I try the above approach with my actual data table, the new "Code Combination" column returns blanks. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

For example:

Customer ID     Code        

01737298         WBSA

01737298         WMSA

01568489         WBSM

Code Combination =

SWITCH(
     TRUE(),

'Table'[Code] = "WBSA" && 'Table[Code] = "WMSA", "BS to MS")

3 REPLIES 3
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @daviss62 

Not sure if you'd like to get below result:

Measure 2 = var a = CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[Customer ID]),FILTER('Table (3)',[Code]="WBSA"))
var b = CALCULATE(MAX('Table (3)'[Customer ID]),FILTER('Table (3)',[Code]="WMSA")) 
Return
IF(a=b,BLANK(),"BS to MS")

16.PNG

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Hi @v-diye-msft ,

That is close to what I want. However, when I plug in my columns/fields into a new calculated column, I get the following "circular dependency" error message.

2019-09-17_15h09_42.png

Hi @daviss62 

I am aware of a circular dependency "issue" when you write multiple calc columns, and their incrementally refer to all columns in a table. Did you use calculated com which should be measure instead?

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Teds Dev Camp Oct. 2021 768x460.jpg

Power BI Dev Camp - October 28th, 2021

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!