Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Switch Issue

Hello All,

I am currently trying to create a burndown style of report that is slightly complicated using the switch statement and comparing dates.

What I am trying to achieve:

• For each contractor know what amount of hours to bill for that month.
    • I need to bill the correct amount per month a contractor by month if their contract is considered active (Within the start and end date). 
      • To elaborate on this if the contractor / PO has not started I do not want to prematurely bill the contractor. 
        • For example a contractor works from December to May I do not want to bill from September to November or June to August.
    • Regardless of the contract status if the contractor has submitted hours use their submitted hours rather than the assumed amount per month.
    • Each month will need its own burndown amount; to expand further on this see below.
      • Contractor 1 
      • Total PO Hours: 2000
      • Sept Submitted Hours: 20 therefore September the column value should be 1980.
      • Oct Submitted Hours: 40 therefore October's column value will be 1940
      • Nov no hours were submitted but since it is december the contractor is assumed to work 140 hours. Therefore the November column would be 1800.

I have included an example excel file and an example PBI file. In the PBI file I have a few switch statements but the October statement is below so you can see an easy example without downloading anything. The switch statement below is not returning the expected value if the PO has already ended or has not started yet.

OctSwitchTest = SWITCH(TRUE(),
'Test Sheet 2'[Oct 2018] > 0 ,'Test Sheet 2'[Oct 2018],
'Test Sheet 2'[PO End Date]<format(10/31/2018,"Short Date"),184,
'Test Sheet 2'[PO Start Date]>format(10/31/2018,"Short Date"),-184)

The 184 vs -184 is to see what the output of the switch statement returns.

Excel file and PBI file:

Thank you all, I tried to be as thorough as possible with what issue I am facing as well as what I have tried.
2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

A little complex of your sceanrio.  What is your desired output? Your desired output will help me understand your scenario better.

In addition, your data sample have many columns, please note do not share any sensitive data in this forum. You could share the sample data which could reproduce the scenario. Simple data model will help use understand your scenario and logic more quickly.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-piga-msft,

I appreciate the help ahead of time, I have been working on this issue for a little while now and I have been unable to figure it out. 

Essentially my desired output would be dependent on each individual employee but ultimately if an employee was able to work in a given month it would use a set amount of workable hours unless they have submitted hours worked. If they have submitted hours worked it would use that over the default value. I will give a few examples below.

Emp 1: Start Date = 9/1/18 | End Date = 8/31/19
This employee's hours value for every month would be the number of workable hours unless they have submitted their hours.

So Sept Worked Hours = 48.
If(Sept Worked Hours > 0, Sept Worked Hours, 152)

Emp 2: Start Date = 9/1/18 | End Date = 1/31/19

This employee would have workable hours only from Sept to January, unless they submitted hours after January for some reason.

So Feb Worked Hours = 48.
If(Feb Worked Hours > 0, Feb Worked Hours, 0)

Employee 3 and 4 are similar to employee 2. 

Emp 3: Start Date = 12/1/18 | End Date = 4/1/19

Emp 4: Start Date = 1/1/19 | End Date = 8/31/19

The issue I have been facing is due to the different start and end dates for each employee. This does not allow me to use a simple if or switch statement to solve the problem.

Aslo I appreciate the note about sensitive data, everything I have provided is dummy data that is to be used as sample data.

Best,

DataPepper

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.