Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

satishkoneri
Frequent Visitor

Switch Dimension from multiple dimension tables

Hi,

I am new to Power BI and I have a situation where I need to develop a very flexible dashboard as below:

1. Switch between various metrics type (eg: Amount, Quantity)

2. Switch between various metrics (eg: curryear, lastyear, yearminus2)

3. Switch between various dimensions (eg: custID, custName, custType, prodID, prodName, prodType, etc)

Data Model is:

FactTable - custID, prodID, currYearAmt, currYearQty, lastYearAmt, lastYearQty, yearMinus2Amt, yearMinus2Qty

custDimTable - custID, custName, custType 

prodDimTable - prodID, prodName, prodType 

Above is just as an example, there are about 20 different dimension attributes required to switch, which are connected using various dimention tables 

I was able to solve 1 & 2 using disconnected table trick and calculated measures. For 3, looking around in this community forum I could see an option to create duplicate table and unpivot. However this option works if all my dimensions are in the same table unlike in mycase. 

Please can someone advise if there is a solution to create a slicer and switch dimensions, which are connected to multiple dimension tables.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That's a fairly sophisticated issue, can you provide sample data to experiment with? Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler 

Sorry few other things missed in my original post:

There are multiple fact tables as below:

- FactActuals: stores actual qty and amount for current and last year

- FactPredM<x>: stores predicted qty and amt generated every month as a new table (sample included for 3 months)

Data is too big to combine, so I plan to keep them seperate but link using custID and  prodID.

Not sure how to attach file here, see if you can download an excel file from this link (manuall created sample data):  http://sendanywhe.re/C5NKLHTI   

@amitchandak  - Thanks for your prompt reply. Your first link covers by point 1 & 2 which I already managed to do it. Second link, I'm concerned there will be lots of manual work (unless its the only option) as I have about 20+ dimentions. However, I will give it a go to see how this bookmarks works. Thanks for sharing.

@Greg_Deckler  - wondering if you had chance to look at sample data. Any help would be really helpful. Thanks you in advance for helping. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.