Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

SurveyMonkey connector: cannot save connections to different SurveyMonkey accounts?

I am using Power BI Desktop with the SurveyMonkey connector. I have multiple SurveyMonkey accounts, each with its own access token. 

So, say I create Report1.pbix with a connection to one SurveyMonkey account, using AccessToken1.

Then I create Report2.pbix with a connection to a different SurveyMonkey account, using AccessToken2.

Then I open Report1.pbix and try to refresh the data, again. It says it cannot authenticate, because the access token is not correct.

Why? I think it is because when I click Edit Queries > Data source settings, and I look under "Global permissions," there is exactly one entry for SurveyMonkey. Presumably, it currently contains AccessToken2, which does not work for Report1.pbix

So I tried clearing the global permission for SurveyMonkey. But then both Report1.pbix and Report2.pbix are unable to connect. And if I open Report1.pbix and re-enter AccessToken1, it works ... but once again it has created a "SurveyMonkey" entry under "Global permissions" with AccessToken1. So now, Report2.pbix cannot connect.

So it seems like authentication for the SurveyMonkey connector is only done using a "global permission;" and there can only be one such global permission. Is this true? Is there any way around this? What should I do when I have multiple SurveyMonkey accounts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@kevhav ,

Power bi will use the saved permissions when you connect to same data source. You can click data sources in current file-> edit permissions/clear permissions to change the permissions.

Capture.PNG 

In addtion, you can also click query editor and create a blank query, then write M code manually using web.content() and your access token to access the data source.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@kevhav ,

Power bi will use the saved permissions when you connect to same data source. You can click data sources in current file-> edit permissions/clear permissions to change the permissions.

Capture.PNG 

In addtion, you can also click query editor and create a blank query, then write M code manually using web.content() and your access token to access the data source.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I see there are sections for "Data sources in this file" and "Global permissions" ... but I don't see any way to save my SurveyMonkey credentials under "Data sources in this file" only, and not under "Global permissions."

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.