Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Surely Allowing Calculations/Measures in Data model only is a Bad Thing?

Hi there

I am pretty new to Power BI, but from what I can see, all calculations need to be done in the data model itself.

Most other BI tools I have worked in, allow you to do calculations in the report.

In my PB dashboard, I need to calculate things like Sales current year, sales prior year, running total sales, and then exactly the same thing for cost of sales, qty etc. The result of this is that the model gets really bloated. 

Am I missing something or is this not a major weakness of Power BI?

Regards

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous -

I think it's a good thing to have a central store of measures, because they are reusable.

Regarding bloating, measures are evaluated at run-time - the information isn't stored in the data model.

Cheers!

Nathan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nathan

Thanks for the feedback. 

The issue I have with this is that if users want to create their own report, their might be a fairly simple measure that the need to create that is not available at the time. If they don't have access to the dataset, they cannot quickly add it. Having a central repository of measure is definitely a good thing, but most BI tools also allow users to create additional calculations if required when authoring reports.

Regards

Chris

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChrisH - I hadn't realized that Power BI does have the capability that you're looking for. Here is the link. Thanks for helping me learn!

Cheers!

Nathan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.