Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

SPMoore
Advocate I
Advocate I

Suppress inline hierarchies

Hi everyone

Just wondered if it is possible to suppress the inline hierarchies feature that was introduced in the August 2016 update?  Taking my example, I have 2 fields on the X axis, day of week and time of day with a simple Count as the value.  When I drill down to time of day, the axis reads Monday 2 pm, Monday 3pm etc,  but suppose I want to look at time of day regardless of the day of the week (2 PM, 3 PM, 4PM).  

I am getting the chart below when putting the 2 fields on the axis.

inline example.PNG

But actually, I want this (below) and I can get it, but seems only if I have one field on the axis (time of day).

inline example 2.PNG

You can see that 1AM on the second chart has been split out on the first chart into Sunday and Thursday.  So, I want to stack fields on the axis but not have inline hierarchies.

BTW - I think the inline hierarchies feature is very useful so this is not a criticism!

Thanks in advance!

Simon 

5 REPLIES 5
AlexChen
Employee
Employee

Hi,

You can do that like following example. I assume you have a table like below.

Total amount of 2:00 is 100 and total amount of 1:00 is 50.

1.png

We can first create two columns of “DayOfWeek” and “Hour”.

2.png

Now you can create a clustered column chart with “Hour” and “DayOfWeek” in Axis.

Pay attention to the “Axis”. The first should be “Hour”, and the second is “DayOfWeek”.

3.png

Now you can Drill up to see “amount by hour”. Total amount of 2:00 is 100 and total amount of 1:00 is 50.

4.png

Best Regards

Alex

Hi @AlexChen

Thanks for the reply, I can see the workaround in this situation but it won't cover everything that I need to work around with the introduction of this feature as compulsory.  Hopefully they will make it optional going forwards!

Simon 

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@SPMoore Maybe going to File -> Options and settings -> Options -> Data Load under Current File -> untick Auto Date Time will help you.

Hi @ankitpatira

No, that doesn't work in this situation, I still get the same output.  I will be surprised if there is no solution as inline hierarchies are not always what you want.  

One example - For some of my previous reports, I have created my own quarters/half years etc in my Date table so I would use those fields to put (as part of a hierachy) on the Axis.  Where I created

Q1' 16,

Q2' 16

Q3' 16

Power BI now displays these as:

2016 Q1' 16

2016 Q2 16

Hence my need to switch this off in some cases as actually, some clients prefer to see Q1' 16 as opposed to 2016 Q1 and also I would prefer not to go back and change work that I have done already.

Simon

Experiencing the same issue with data hierarchies now displaying significantly more detail than previously.  The ability to suppress this as part of the visual options is needed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.