Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Supporting Multiple Timezones in Power BI Report

Background:

• We have are building a SaaS solution that is pulling data from a 3rd party system and storing all of the extracted data inside of an Azure SQL DB. 
  • The source system is multi-lingual and supports all TimeZones, so any user can login to the platform and run a report or view data in their local TimeZone.  
  • In Power BI, we need to be able to present the data, metrics and calculations in the TZ of the user so the data will match what they see in the App

Problem:

• How the heck do I do this?
  • We're able to manipulate the Source Queries to receive a TZ Parameter and convert DateTime in T-SQL but that is still limited to 1 TimeZone

Any Thoughts:

• I considered summarizing data by TZ, which will create a fair number of extra rows and then using a Slicer for the user to view the data in their local TZ
4 REPLIES 4
cdub509
Frequent Visitor

Did you ever find a solution?  I have the exact same issue, except my users can be all over the world.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cdub509 - I just stumbled across this post and Avi has a solution that should solve this problem:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Difficult-Question-Dynamic-Time-Zones-with-Power-BI-Embedde...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response, I saw the Reza Rad post before but I don't think that will work in this case.

The raw data is like this, there is not a UTC Offset

UserStart DateTimeEnd DateTimeDuration(s)
User A6/10/2020 1:00:00PM UTC6/10/2020 3:17PM UTC136
User A6/10/2020 3:17PM UTC6/10/2020 3:30PM UTC13
User A6/10/2020 3:30PM UTC6/10/2020 6:17PM UTC320

When Manager A runs the report for this data, the data should be returned/represented in CST

When Manager B runs the report for this data, the data sould be returned/represented in EST

Eventually we will be grouping this data by Day, Hour and 15m increments

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.