Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LittleAndi

Support for Zip codes outside of the United States in Choropleth map?

Does anyone know if zip codes (and cities) outside of the United States are supported in the Choropleth map visual? In this case specifically Swedish zip codes.

In Bing Maps there is no problem to search for Swedish zip codes, but when I use them in "Place" in the Choropleth map there is no result. Using City in "Place" kind of works ok, but I still get the warning about the need of more input.

9 REPLIES 9
ALeef
Advocate III
Advocate III

Bing Maps is pretty particular about having State/Country etc... Just give it as much detail as possible.  Take a look at the Latitude/Longitude post on the forums here (just search, i don't have the link right now) - they figured out some cool stuff, and some workarounds for wonky map visualizations in PBI

I've tried a couple of ways with no luck. This is a couple of formats that I tried

• 11151, Sweden
  • 11151, Sverige
  • 11151 Stockholm
  • 11151 Stockholm, Sweden
  • 11151 Stockholm, Sverige
  • and also all of the above with prefix "SE-"

I've also marked the column as data type "Postcode" and also tried to change the column name to "Zipcode"/"Postcode" and so on (as I've seen others try in this forum).

I have not tried the lat/long yet, but I'll guess that should work since it is just numbers...

Yeah, I'd try a straight concatenation like they suggested in the lat/long thread.  Maybe try a re-ordering, like it would be in a postal address ... City, province/country, zip.  Worth a shot!

I've tried these also now:

• STOCKHOLM, 11151
  • STOCKHOLM, 11151, Sweden
  • STOCKHOLM, 11151, Sverige

I still don't get any result. And I should add, almost every one of the formats I tried works well with the Map visual. Then I get the "rings" and they are sized according to the "value" field.

@LittleAndi : Try doing the concatenate as "Stockholm, Sweden, 11151" and see if that works.  It seems to want City, Country - Not sure if it breaks down as far as zip codes - but it might.

Make sure your data types show up with the globe for geographical data, like the article says.  Otherwise, report it as a bug.

I'm out of options 😛  

@ALeef I'll try that also! Thanks for the effort!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello guys, I am also trying that here in Brazil and I had no lucky. Did it work for Sweden?

Hmm wonder if I'm a version behind on my install. I was thinking straight map visual.  I don't even have an option for Choropleth Map on my installation, so I can't test it.

Is it a standard visual?

Ok, I'm on version 2.28.4190.122.

It is also called a "Filled Map", see Tutorial: Filled Maps (Choropleths) in Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.