Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Chris99
Advocate III
Advocate III

Support for Multiple Currencies

As far as I can tell, Power BI has no built in support for multiple currencies.

I have a data source containing financial values that can be in any number of currencies. There is also another column in the same table which contains the currency short code, eg GBP, EUR, USD etc. So far I have tried

1. The default, which formatted the values based on my locale (an astonishingly short sighted option)
  2. I looked for, and didn't find, the ability to format a Currency data type based on a column containing a currency short code.
  3. I currently have set all my financial columns to be of type Fixed Decimal Number and set them to two decimal places (not brilliant, but okay for most currencies).

I did test a workaround on a card visualisation where I created a measure and summed up a set of values, and then used FORMAT with a format looked up based on the currency short code. This worked for the summation card value, but I realised it was no good doing this for all my financial values, as FORMAT produced a string, and this couldn't then be put on a matrix and have subtotals and totals automatically calculated.

How have others approached this, as support for multiple currencies seems a fairly common scenario?

Chris

PS Have just seen a similar idea here https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/32674258-change-currency-symbol-d...

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Chris99,

Please check if the workaround in the following similar thread works in your scenario.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39150607/power-bi-how-to-dynamically-change-currency

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for taking the time to hunt around, but I have read this before. As you can no noubt see this involves formatting the financial amounts as strings, which then cannot be aggregated further.

Chris

@Chris99

Please vote the above idea.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have, as mentioned previously in this post.

Three and a half months on, has anyone in the same boat come up with a solution?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sad to say I now have a requirement for this also. I have many different currencies. From Market currency to Local currency and need to be able to aggregate them and display on visuals. Everyone I talk to keeps telling me to use the FORMAT but as stated you lose functionality doing this. Also the currency symbol. This is important. Has anyone seen a work-around or created one? 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Chris99,

Please vote up the above idea and add your comments there.

Regards,
Lydia

Thanks Lydia, I already have.

I was hoping to reach out to the community to see what solutions they may have implemented.

Chris

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.