Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Summation by category when duplicate values exist

The value of Drums for Acme is 200,000. However, the value is repeated. How do I retain the ability to, in a chart, to drill down into Product by year/month summarizing the unique value per product/company.

For instance: I would like the 3 Products ( Drums / Piano / Guitar) as the legend, and show that during July 2019, Piano sold a total of 227,670. Drums for 200k and Guitar for 409,859.

How would I group by Region/country in another graph? I can't quite get my head wrapped around summarize, but I believe that is probably where the solution lies.

DateProduct Value CompanyCountryRegion
Jul-2019Drums  200,000ACMEUSAAMERICAS
Aug-2019Drums  200,000ACMEUSAAMERICAS
Sep-2019Drums  200,000ACMEUSAAMERICAS
Jul-2019Piano  100,000ACMEUSAAMERICAS
Aug-2019Piano  100,000ACMEUSAAMERICAS
Sep-2019Piano  100,000ACMEUSAAMERICAS
Jul-2019Guitar  409,859BRAVOGERMANYEUROPE
Aug-2019Guitar  409,859BRAVOGERMANYEUROPE
Sep-2019Guitar  409,859BRAVOGERMANYEUROPE
Jul-2019Piano  127,670BRAVOGERMANYEUROPE
Aug-2019Piano  127,670BRAVOGERMANYEUROPE
Sep-2019Piano  127,670BRAVOGERMANYEUROPE
5 REPLIES 5
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

In your senario, you need add Country/Region and Company/Date as X-axis. After drill expanding all down one level, you will achieve a stacked bar chart like pattern below:

Capture.PNG 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The drilldown isn't where I'm struggling. It's that the value of the products has been repeated for every month. Customer Acme only bought 1 set of drums for 200,000, but it is repeated for every month in the year for which the transaction occured. I want to look at the total sales by product, but only with the distinct values per product/customer.

@Anonymous ,

If you have solved the issue, could you please help mark the correct answer to finish the thread? Your contribution will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

@Anonymous ,

I'm afraid this can't be achieved by visual directly because the data will be aggregated automatically in the visual. But there's a workaround, suppose you are using sum, you need to create new calculate columns like logic below:

Result =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Table[Sales] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[Customer], Table[Product] )
)
    / CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( Table ),
        ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[Customer], Table[Product] )
    )

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You can add 'layers' in your charts, like this:

image.png

If you click on the splitted arrows in the right top corner of the visual, you drill down a layer (combined). 

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors