Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

roboskoog
Frequent Visitor

Summarizing monthly data

Hello All -

I've been struggling with creating a monthly summary of defects detected.  My table has Project ID, Application ID, Month and Discovered defects.  I need to summarize the discovered defects by application and month.  Since an application can be tied to multiple projects in a month, I need Project ID to filter which applications should be included in the display.

I've tried mulitple things and cannot get a monthly total by application, including SUMMARIZE, SUM, SUMX, GROUPBY, SUMMARIZECOLUMNS.  Usually I get the message: "The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value."  I'm thinking this is because I do not including the Project ID in the calculation.  

Any suggestions on how to get monthly totals by application?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Using the suggested posting, I was able to get this to work.  Actual code is:

SUMX(CROSSJOIN(values('Reliability by Appllication (2)'[Appl_ID]),values('Reliability by Appllication (2)'[Reporting Month])),CALCULATE(SUM('Reliability by Appllication (2)'[Discovered Defects])))

I now get a monthly total of defects by application.

Thanks for the suggestion.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

@roboskoog,

There seems to be a similar issue in this thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SUMMARIZE-error-The-expression-refers-to-multiple-columns-c...  Does that help?

Failing that, can you post the measure that is giving you grief, and an idea of how you want to use it in a visual - e.g. table/ matrix/ card, columns/rows you need ?

Cheers.

Using the suggested posting, I was able to get this to work.  Actual code is:

SUMX(CROSSJOIN(values('Reliability by Appllication (2)'[Appl_ID]),values('Reliability by Appllication (2)'[Reporting Month])),CALCULATE(SUM('Reliability by Appllication (2)'[Discovered Defects])))

I now get a monthly total of defects by application.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.