cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roboskoog Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Summarizing monthly data

Hello All -

I've been struggling with creating a monthly summary of defects detected.  My table has Project ID, Application ID, Month and Discovered defects.  I need to summarize the discovered defects by application and month.  Since an application can be tied to multiple projects in a month, I need Project ID to filter which applications should be included in the display.

I've tried mulitple things and cannot get a monthly total by application, including SUMMARIZE, SUM, SUMX, GROUPBY, SUMMARIZECOLUMNS.  Usually I get the message: "The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value."  I'm thinking this is because I do not including the Project ID in the calculation.  

Any suggestions on how to get monthly totals by application?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: Summarizing monthly data

Using the suggested posting, I was able to get this to work.  Actual code is:

SUMX(CROSSJOIN(values('Reliability by Appllication (2)'[Appl_ID]),values('Reliability by Appllication (2)'[Reporting Month])),CALCULATE(SUM('Reliability by Appllication (2)'[Discovered Defects])))

I now get a monthly total of defects by application.

Thanks for the suggestion.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Steve_Wheeler Established Member
Established Member

@roboskoog,

There seems to be a similar issue in this thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SUMMARIZE-error-The-expression-refers-to-multiple-columns-c...  Does that help?

Failing that, can you post the measure that is giving you grief, and an idea of how you want to use it in a visual - e.g. table/ matrix/ card, columns/rows you need ?

Cheers.

Frequent Visitor

Using the suggested posting, I was able to get this to work.  Actual code is:

SUMX(CROSSJOIN(values('Reliability by Appllication (2)'[Appl_ID]),values('Reliability by Appllication (2)'[Reporting Month])),CALCULATE(SUM('Reliability by Appllication (2)'[Discovered Defects])))

I now get a monthly total of defects by application.

Thanks for the suggestion.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Topics Started Badges Coming

New Topics Started Badges Coming

We're releasing new versions of the badge that everyone's talking about. ;) Check your inbox for notifications.

MBAS 2020

Save the new date (and location)!

Our business applications community is growing—so we needed a different venue, resulting in a new date and location. See you there!

Difinity Conference

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)