Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BW938337
Frequent Visitor

Summarized data export to Excel in Embedded tier produces columns with no data

Hello, in our app (using Embedded service), exporting to Excel only works from a matrix and using the first export option (Data with layout). Exporting summarized data only produces a sheet with columns, but no data. CSV works fine. The service principal has admin permissions and the report allows users to export summarized data. I can export to Excel from the report directly from the PowerBI.com site, but this does not work in Embedded. Does anyone know why this is occurring? 

2 REPLIES 2
BW938337
Frequent Visitor

I did some additional testing. When I upload a new dataset (which only had three rows directly entered via PowerBI desktop vs a database source), and create a new report, then the report exports summary data successfully to Excel in Embedded. However, it is not doing it with my data model. I verified that my relationships are correct. I don't understand why .csv summary export works while Excel does not. Again, all the summary exporting works directly from the PowerBI site, just not in Embedded.

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @BW938337 ,

You should export underlying data in power bi when you want to see the relevant data and additional data from the data model you have created in Power BI. However, if your visual contains an aggregation, it will not be exporting the aggregated data.

Summarized data will  show the columns and measures that you created for the visualizations. If the visual contains aggregation, the export will contain aggregated data.

Refer to:

Export data from a visual in Power BI embedded analytics | Microsoft Docs

This is the related document, you can view this content:

Solved: Export data in power BI embedded - Microsoft Power BI Community

How To Export Underlying Data in Power BI (designmind.com)

Issue with "Underlying Data Export ". - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors